Forum: Ruby-Gnome 2 Is the package in Ubuntu Jaunty really going to be 0.17.0 ?

0158871402c1ecfa57952e8a379cfd10?d=identicon&s=25 Daniel Lucraft (lucraft)
Shouldn't it be 0.18.1? http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/ruby-gnome2

I thought there were serious issues with 0.17 that have since been
fixed. Not to mention the inclusion of gtksourceview2.

best,
Dan

The response to my question about this on Launchpad was:

Zied ALAYA proposed the following answer:
Generally, we have the latest softwares in every release of Ubuntu.
Some times there is no enough time to add and test some softwares.
indeed the hole system can became instable since there is dependency
for other packages.
that's why for example in Ubuntu 8.10 open office 3 wasn't included.

____________________________________
Daniel Benjamin Lucraft

www.daniellucraft.com/blog
twitter.com/danlucraft

2009/4/20 Daniel Lucraft <dan@fluentradical.com>:
B985bf8029d396259f579c70f809269a?d=identicon&s=25 Simon Arnaud (sarnaud)
on 2009-04-28 12:00
If I understand the Ubuntu release cycle, they mostly base their distro
on debian unstable, and polish/upgrade only packages in 'main' (the
ubuntu main).

Other packages mostly are the version found in debian unstable/testing.
Debian Lenny, unstable when jaunty started it's release cycle, was
frozen, and had version 0.17.0, so Jaunty just used that.

Note that Lenny is also using 0.17.0, unfortunately.

You can see here ( http://packages.qa.debian.org/r/ruby-gnome2.html ),
0.18.1 was merged into Debian in March. Too late for Jaunty.
C838db9af1d90a87a828ecad8556b804?d=identicon&s=25 Guillaume Cottenceau (Guest)
On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 12:00 PM, Simon Arnaud
<ruby-forum-incoming@andreas-s.net> wrote:
> If I understand the Ubuntu release cycle, they mostly base their distro
> on debian unstable, and polish/upgrade only packages in 'main' (the
> ubuntu main).
>
> Other packages mostly are the version found in debian unstable/testing.
> Debian Lenny, unstable when jaunty started it's release cycle, was
> frozen, and had version 0.17.0, so Jaunty just used that.
>
> Note that Lenny is also using 0.17.0, unfortunately.

Version 0.17.0 clearly deserves an update in stable distros. It has an
important memory leak which renders all ruby-gnome2 based programs
useless after a few memory-related operations. If an update can't be
afforded, at least a downgrade to 0.16.0 (unless you're using ruby >=
1.8.7) should be considered.

--
Guillaume Cottenceau - http://zarb.org/~gc/
0158871402c1ecfa57952e8a379cfd10?d=identicon&s=25 Daniel Lucraft (lucraft)
> Version 0.17.0 clearly deserves an update in stable distros. It has an
> important memory leak which renders all ruby-gnome2 based programs
> useless after a few memory-related operations. If an update can't be
> afforded, at least a downgrade to 0.16.0 (unless you're using ruby >=
> 1.8.7) should be considered.

Didn't realize it was so bad.... I think I'd better start telling
users to install from the updated packages on the wiki then.

> If I understand the Ubuntu release cycle, they mostly base their distro
> on debian unstable, and polish/upgrade only packages in 'main' (the
> ubuntu main).

Ah, I see. Thanks.

DBL

____________________________________
Daniel Benjamin Lucraft

www.daniellucraft.com/blog
twitter.com/danlucraft

2009/4/28 Guillaume Cottenceau <gcottenc@gmail.com>:
I guess distributions like Ubuntu will always lag behind a lot.
The response of Zied Alaya will always force these distributions to lag:

"the whole system can became unstable since there is dependency for
other packages."

Personally I think the whole model for this kind of dependency handling
is
the wrong approach.