Forum: Ruby on Rails Exclude Files from Capistrano / Source Control

715fe84ca0710aa8dfa5650a044cde91?d=identicon&s=25 John Honovich (jr1734)
on 2009-04-19 02:16
Hello,

I have some video clips I want to make accessible through my web server
(through the public folder). However, they are large and I do not want
to commit them to Git so that capistrano can automatically upload them.

What's the best way of doing this?

Thanks,

John
Af2ce6689213fdb78913a9662b18da6b?d=identicon&s=25 Rick Lloyd (ricklloyd)
Assuming the files are all below some common point like "public/
big_video_clips/" you can just add "public/big_video_clips/*" to
the .gitignore file in the project root.

On Apr 18, 2:16 pm, John Honovich <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-s.net>
715fe84ca0710aa8dfa5650a044cde91?d=identicon&s=25 John Honovich (jr1734)
on 2009-04-19 02:36
Rick Lloyd wrote:
> Assuming the files are all below some common point like "public/
> big_video_clips/" you can just add "public/big_video_clips/*" to
> the .gitignore file in the project root.
>
> On Apr 18, 2:16�pm, John Honovich <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-s.net>

Thanks. To confirm, Capistrano will still deploy files even if they are
gitignored as long as they are in a subdirectory like public/big/* ?
40db9e75b3f5899258e3bdc0c9210154?d=identicon&s=25 Conrad Taylor (conradwt)
On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 5:36 PM, John Honovich <
rails-mailing-list@andreas-s.net> wrote:

> Rick Lloyd wrote:
> > Assuming the files are all below some common point like "public/
> > big_video_clips/" you can just add "public/big_video_clips/*" to
> > the .gitignore file in the project root.
> >
> > On Apr 18, 2:16�pm, John Honovich <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-s.net>
>
> Thanks. To confirm, Capistrano will still deploy files even if they are
> gitignored as long as they are in a subdirectory like public/big/* ?

Capistrano will only deploy files if they do not match a pattern within
your .gitignore file.  For example,

public/big/*

will exclude all files and folders who's parent folder is
'#{RAILS_ROOT}/public/big'.  If you
need more information, I would highly recommend that you view the
following screencast(s)
if you haven't done so:

http://railscasts.com/episodes/96-git-on-rails
http://railscasts.com/episodes/133-capistrano-tasks

There are several other screencasts by the same author as well as others
on
the web which
go into various degrees of detail.

Good luck,