Forum: Ruby on Rails Can't get SWF player to display in webpage

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
F6715491a2224a42bd2a0d6e290b14ce?d=identicon&s=25 Rubio Ramirez (rubio)
on 2009-04-18 20:14
Attachment: sounds.html.erb (1 KB)
Found a great link
(http://blog.eleventyten.com/2007/6/8/embedding-swf...)
describing adding Flash content (in this case playerMultipleList.swf) in
a "rails" webpage.

I've followed the instructions to a "T", however the player doesn't
display on the page ... just the words playerMultipleList.swf appear :-(

Everything else is working great after retrofitting the pages to the ROR
framework, but this is one of the most important features.  If you have
experience with this and would kindly share it, I will greatly
appreciate it!

Please see attachment for the code I'm using !

Thanks Rubio
81b61875e41eaa58887543635d556fca?d=identicon&s=25 Frederick Cheung (Guest)
on 2009-04-18 20:52
(Received via mailing list)
On Apr 18, 7:14 pm, Rubio Ramirez <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-s.net>
wrote:
> experience with this and would kindly share it, I will greatly
> appreciate it!
>

The path to playerMultipleList.swf looks suspicious to me - if it is
at RAILS_ROOT/public/swf/playerMultipleList.swf then the path to it
(from the browser's point of view) is just /swf/playerMultipleList.swf
(since the document root should be RAILS_ROOT/public)

Fred
F6715491a2224a42bd2a0d6e290b14ce?d=identicon&s=25 Rubio Ramirez (rubio)
on 2009-04-18 23:06
Frederick Cheung wrote:
> On Apr 18, 7:14�pm, Rubio Ramirez <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-s.net>
> wrote:
>> experience with this and would kindly share it, I will greatly
>> appreciate it!
>>
>
> The path to playerMultipleList.swf looks suspicious to me - if it is
> at RAILS_ROOT/public/swf/playerMultipleList.swf then the path to it
> (from the browser's point of view) is just /swf/playerMultipleList.swf
> (since the document root should be RAILS_ROOT/public)
>
> Fred

Fred Thanks for the quick reply.  I initially had the path as
/swf/playerMultipleList.swf  as you suggest, but it didn't grab the
player in that case either (and I've checked and made sure that the
player is in RAILS_ROOT/public/swf.  But, theoretically you're
absolutely right.  I'll keep digging; it's prob just some little
something I'm not seeing!

Thanks, again
R
782b01570270ab10543bc25a258d7ea8?d=identicon&s=25 Dmitry Sokurenko (Guest)
on 2009-04-21 15:42
(Received via mailing list)
Not sure, but some Flash players require not the path, but an absolute
URL, so instead of having:
  ../../../public/swf/playerMultipleList.swf

you should generate something like:
 http://www.theapp.com/swf/playerMultipleList.swf

And also there should be no 'public' in the URL.

Dmitry
F6715491a2224a42bd2a0d6e290b14ce?d=identicon&s=25 Rubio Ramirez (rubio)
on 2009-04-21 21:30
Attachment: sounds_html.doc (20 KB)
Dmitry Sokurenko wrote:
> Not sure, but some Flash players require not the path, but an absolute
> URL, so instead of having:
>   ../../../public/swf/playerMultipleList.swf
>
> you should generate something like:
>  http://www.theapp.com/swf/playerMultipleList.swf
>
> And also there should be no 'public' in the URL.
>
> Dmitry

Dmitry - please see the attachment!

It's working now, but with the path specified simply as
/swf/playerMultipleList.swf.  Problem seemed to be an incorrect
swfobject.js. As soon as I copied the original from the download to the
#{RAILS_ROOT}/public/javascripts folder, the player appeared however,
unfortunately there's still a problem .. the tracks don't appear (get
undefined where a track should be) even though I used the same pathing
convention to point to public/Sounds (should evaluate to
#{RAILS_ROOT}/public/Sounds just as the swf path evaluated to
#{RAILS_ROOT}/public/swf and found the player.

At first I thought this problem would be a piece of cake, but now after
trying the same convention I just mentioned, as well as the relative
path, and absolute path to the myPlayList.xml still just "undefined" for
the track .. please see the attachment for a screen shot of this. and
the current code as well.

If you have any ideas, it's greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time
782b01570270ab10543bc25a258d7ea8?d=identicon&s=25 Dmitry Sokurenko (Guest)
on 2009-04-21 22:32
(Received via mailing list)
Hi Rubio,

Yep, as I remember eiter Flash object, either content should be a
path, and another one should be a URL. So, if the Flash player
requires just a path (/swf/playerMultipleList.swf), then I think that
the content should be provided as a full URL (http://www.theapp.com/
Sounds/song.mp3)

Dmitry

On Apr 21, 11:30 pm, Rubio Ramirez <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-s.net>
6c22c0b6ff802f8d8455e58be96bcebb?d=identicon&s=25 Kelly Sonderegger (ksondere)
on 2010-08-05 21:08
Rubio Ramirez wrote:
> Dmitry Sokurenko wrote:
>> Not sure, but some Flash players require not the path, but an absolute
>> URL, so instead of having:
>>   ../../../public/swf/playerMultipleList.swf
>>
>> you should generate something like:
>>  http://www.theapp.com/swf/playerMultipleList.swf
>>
>> And also there should be no 'public' in the URL.
>>
>> Dmitry
>
> Dmitry - please see the attachment!
>
> It's working now, but with the path specified simply as
> /swf/playerMultipleList.swf.  Problem seemed to be an incorrect
> swfobject.js. As soon as I copied the original from the download to the
> #{RAILS_ROOT}/public/javascripts folder, the player appeared however,
> unfortunately there's still a problem .. the tracks don't appear (get
> undefined where a track should be) even though I used the same pathing
> convention to point to public/Sounds (should evaluate to
> #{RAILS_ROOT}/public/Sounds just as the swf path evaluated to
> #{RAILS_ROOT}/public/swf and found the player.
>
> At first I thought this problem would be a piece of cake, but now after
> trying the same convention I just mentioned, as well as the relative
> path, and absolute path to the myPlayList.xml still just "undefined" for
> the track .. please see the attachment for a screen shot of this. and
> the current code as well.
>
> If you have any ideas, it's greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks for your time

Rubio,

I'm having this same problem.  I tried relative paths and then an
absolute path http://localhost:3000/public/music/playlist.xml and could
not get it to work.  How did you solve this?

Thanks,
Kelly
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.