Forum: Ruby Windows platform, test if a file is fully flushed to disk.

Brian Wallace (Guest)
Hi all,

 I've written a Ruby script that scans a directory for new files at a
specified interval, using Directory_Watcher (Thanks for the great gem
Tim
Pease!), and when a new file is added to the directory - it streams it
off
to my Web Application.

The problem I'm having is with large files that take a long time to copy
into a folder in Windows, the file is added and picked up immediately
... So
the application tries to begin streaming, but ends up getting a
"Errno::EACCES: Permission denied" on the file because it is still being
copied.

I've been trying to find a way to test a file in windows to see if it is
readable/writable? I've tried all of the usual ruby methods:

File.size = reports the total size of the file, even if its still
copying
File.readable? ==> always returns true even during the copy
File.writeable? ==> always returns true even during the copy.

So I guess my question is: Does anyone know how to test if a file is
complete in Windows?

 Thanks,

Brian
Eric Hodel (Guest)
On Apr 17, 2009, at 13:32, Brian Wallace wrote:
> it is
> readable/writable? I've tried all of the usual ruby methods:
>
> File.size = reports the total size of the file, even if its still
> copying
> File.readable? ==> always returns true even during the copy
> File.writeable? ==> always returns true even during the copy.
>
> So I guess my question is: Does anyone know how to test if a file is
> complete in Windows?

Why not rescue Errno::EACCESS and retry at a later time?
Brian Wallace (Guest)
Thanks for replying Eric..

Obviously I'm fairly inexperienced and didnt even think that :) I guess
I'll
have to focus on learning the proper ways to use rescue / retry.