Forum: Ruby on Rails "Authentication failed" when third party smtp server is used

Fb47760df158dae06ce42941e073fb2b?d=identicon&s=25 Ank Ag (ankit2584)
on 2009-04-17 18:01
Hello,
 I am using action  mailer to send mails. I need to use a third party
smtp server. The third party smtp server i am using is authsmtp.

    ActionMailer::Base.smtp_settings = {
    :address            => "mail.authsmtp.com",
    :domain             => "mydomain.com",
    :port                 =>   2525,
    :authentication   =>  "login",
    :user_name        => "promo@mydomain.com",
    :password          =>  "password for promo@mydomain.com"
}

when i try to send the mail, i get authentication failed error. but if i
change the :address to mail.mydomain.com everything works fine.
I want to use authsmtp to send mail

I think i also have to authenticate the authsmtp server.I have its
username and password. Where do i have to write that.

Any idea whats going wrong.
Please help
Thank you.

> when i try to send the mail, i get authentication failed error. but if i
> change the :address to mail.mydomain.com everything works fine.
> I want to use authsmtp to send mail
>
> I think i also have to authenticate the authsmtp server.I have its
> username and password. Where do i have to write that.

You should be using that username and password in your smtp settings.

Fred