Forum: Ruby on Rails Chess game

72c4ff54e83794a9cc6325340cd7a0bd?d=identicon&s=25 Tu Ni (tunickelz)
on 2009-04-16 13:21
I am making a website with one view while creating a chess game in ruby.
I'd rather not use Rails... some info on easier ways to accomplish this
would be great. But anyway, where do I put the game's .rb files etc?
648a71a35ce6e4a1c5cd63451a2a20df?d=identicon&s=25 Gavin (Guest)
Is there a reason why you don't wanna use rails?

On Apr 16, 12:21 pm, Fredrik Stagling <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-
72c4ff54e83794a9cc6325340cd7a0bd?d=identicon&s=25 Tu Ni (tunickelz)
on 2009-04-16 14:27
Gavin wrote:
> Is there a reason why you don't wanna use rails?
>
> On Apr 16, 12:21�pm, Fredrik Stagling <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-
Because I don't need anything other than being able to embed ruby in
html. Plus I haven't used Rails before and I'm not very familiar with
web development at all.
Fredrik Stagling wrote:
> Gavin wrote:
>> Is there a reason why you don't wanna use rails?
>>
>> On Apr 16, 12:21�pm, Fredrik Stagling <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-
> Because I don't need anything other than being able to embed ruby in
> html.

That may be a good reason not to use Rails -- you could probably get
away with a Ruby CGI script or a lighter framework such as Merb or
Camping. If you're using a lot of JavaScript, SproutCore may also be
worth a look.

> Plus I haven't used Rails before

That is *not* a good reason not to use Rails. :)

> and I'm not very familiar with
> web development at all.

Then I suggest you read up on the basics of Web development regardless
of what frameworks or libraries you end up using.  Like it or not,
you're *doing* Web development now, so you need to understand how things
work.

Best,
--
Marnen Laibow-Koser