Forum: Ruby on Rails radio buttons?

428f1d76da99d9602d57b046841df29a?d=identicon&s=25 Dave Smith (railsnoob)
on 2009-04-15 13:05
if i got a couple of radio buttons on my form that i want to use a
published_at field rather than a boolean field how would i go about
this? I know that if i'm using a boolean i can do the following.

<%= f.radio_button :published_at, true %> Yes
<%= f.radio_button :published_at, false %> No

but what would i have to change to use the datetime field?

many thanks in advance guys,
On 15 Apr 2009, at 12:05, Dave Smith wrote:

> if i got a couple of radio buttons on my form that i want to use a
> published_at field rather than a boolean field how would i go about
> this? I know that if i'm using a boolean i can do the following.
>
> <%= f.radio_button :published_at, true %> Yes
> <%= f.radio_button :published_at, false %> No
>
> but what would i have to change to use the datetime field?

Are you expecting people to enter a date or to choose between one of
several dates ?

Fred
428f1d76da99d9602d57b046841df29a?d=identicon&s=25 Dave Smith (railsnoob)
on 2009-04-15 13:54
Frederick Cheung wrote:
> On 15 Apr 2009, at 12:05, Dave Smith wrote:
>

>> if i got a couple of radio buttons on my form that i want to use a
>> published_at field rather than a boolean field how would i go about
>> this? I know that if i'm using a boolean i can do the following.
>>
>> <%= f.radio_button :published_at, true %> Yes
>> <%= f.radio_button :published_at, false %> No
>>
>> but what would i have to change to use the datetime field?
>>
> Are you expecting people to enter a date or to choose between one of
> several dates ?
>
> Fred

Hi,

i was actually hoping for when they check the yes option is puts the
current time in the field. and when they click no it is removed.
On 15 Apr 2009, at 12:54, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> <%= f.radio_button :published_at, false %> No
> i was actually hoping for when they check the yes option is puts the
> current time in the field. and when they click no it is removed.

Ah, so that's more than a radio button. it's some radio buttons + your
favourite date input method, together with a chunk of javascript that
does stuff to those input controls.
The radio_button would be for a separate attribute (which might not
even be a real one) to published_at

Fred
428f1d76da99d9602d57b046841df29a?d=identicon&s=25 Dave Smith (railsnoob)
on 2009-04-15 16:05
Frederick Cheung wrote:

>> i was actually hoping for when they check the yes option is puts the
>> current time in the field. and when they click no it is removed.
>
> Ah, so that's more than a radio button. it's some radio buttons + your
> favourite date input method, together with a chunk of javascript that
> does stuff to those input controls.
> The radio_button would be for a separate attribute (which might not
> even be a real one) to published_at
>
> Fred

ahh ok! thanks, is that much more difficult to implement? i have
searched for examples online and in my rails books but cannot find
anything.
On 15 Apr 2009, at 15:05, Dave Smith wrote:

>> favourite date input method, together with a chunk of javascript that
>> does stuff to those input controls.
>> The radio_button would be for a separate attribute (which might not
>> even be a real one) to published_at
>>
>> Fred
>
> ahh ok! thanks, is that much more difficult to implement? i have
> searched for examples online and in my rails books but cannot find
> anything.

Not massively difficult. Not a rails issue at all though - get out
your html and javascript books to find out about event handling and so
on.

Fred