Forum: Ruby on Rails URL Redirect and affect on Routes?

4070d2480bc3296fb94599d907a81b8c?d=identicon&s=25 Jason (Guest)
I still don't fully understand routes, so I apologize in advance.

I have a single rails app, but multiple domains pointing to different
directories for marketing reasons. I am looking for a way to have the
secondary domain point to the primarydomain.com/directory.

It'd want any links to primarydomain.com/directory to 301 redirect to
the secondary domain. Essentially, to the user everything should look
like secondarydomain.com/whatever but be primarydomain.com/directory/
whatever on the server.

How can I handle this without affecting routes?

Thanks,
Jason
5772c599ccab3081e0fffb1d54f3b6de?d=identicon&s=25 Andrew Timberlake (andrewtimberlake)
On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 4:43 AM, Jason <mccreary.jason@gmail.com> wrote:
> whatever on the server.
>
> How can I handle this without affecting routes?
>
> Thanks,
> Jason

I would handle this in the upline webserver like Apache or Nginx with
url rewriting

The primary domain can catch all calls to the directory and 301 them
to the subdomain without passing the call through to Rails
Rewrite the subdomain/whatever and pass it to RAILS/directory/whatever

This way Rails only has to deal with the call to the directory and can
safely ignore the primary domain handling (and avoid changing routes)

Andrew Timberlake
http://ramblingsonrails.com

4070d2480bc3296fb94599d907a81b8c?d=identicon&s=25 Jason (Guest)
Thanks, I figured this should be a Rewrite rule but was not familiar
enough with rails/routes to determine if I was making it more
complicated. I feel pretty confident in working with Apache.

Thanks much!