Forum: JRuby Some for fun benchmarking of JRuby Trunk

C482081f2c6c893c26f72f6e31999bcb?d=identicon&s=25 Zachary Brown (Guest)
Hi all,

Did some benchmarking on MRI/JRuby to see if there'd be a noticeable
increase in
performance in some of the work I typically do. For background, most
of what I
use Ruby for these days is processing data output files that I create
from some
of my Java-coded bioinformatics tools. In other words, I have a whole
lot of data
that frequently needs to be processed.

The following are results of processing 30 files with 30000 lines each
in them,
all of which are manipulated in arrays (though not at the same time).
Here's some
rough benchmarking just using require 'benchmark'. To say the least, I
was
surprised at the difference between MRI and JRuby, nevermind JRuby --
server.

ruby
       user     system      total        real
341.500000  10.520000 352.020000 (371.315493)

jruby
       user     system      total        real
169.982000   0.000000 169.982000 (169.982000)

jruby --server
       user     system      total        real
125.332000   0.000000 125.332000 (125.332000)

I ran the results a few times and the numbers usually come out to
something like the above.

Its nice to see that we get this kind of speed up using JRuby :).

-Zac

Zachary Brown wrote:
> The following are results of processing 30 files with 30000 lines each
> in them,
> all of which are manipulated in arrays (though not at the same time).
> Here's some
> rough benchmarking just using require 'benchmark'. To say the least, I was
> surprised at the difference between MRI and JRuby, nevermind JRuby
> --server.

Yeah, very nice numbers. And it sounds like a benchmark that's a bit
more "real world" than many, pulling in real data from files, stuffing
into arrays, juggling them...not fib by any means.

Thanks for the numbers. If you see anything we can do to improve, or
feel like doing some profiling, let us know.

- Charlie

Charles Oliver Nutter:

> And it sounds like a benchmark that's a bit more "real world" than
> many, pulling in real data from files, stuffing into arrays, juggling
> them...not fib by any means.

> Thanks for the numbers. If you see anything we can do to
> improve, or feel like doing some profiling, let us know.

I’ll happily provide some benchmarks from my PhD (I’m rewriting it from
scratch at the moment, and I’m targeting Ruby 1.9 when I’m at it), but
have a simple question: how does one profile Ruby under JRuby? (I assume
ruby-prof does not work.)

— Shot