Forum: Ruby on Rails New project in Merb or Rails?

F59b96b6e0bd7e4de56ae52cab9fee4a?d=identicon&s=25 meefster@googlemail.com (Guest)

I'm going to create a new web application. Currently I did all my
applications
with PHP/Zend Framework, but I want to explore new things, so I want
give Ruby and Rails/Merb a try. :)

So I've learned the Ruby basics and now I'm questioning myself if I
should
start developing using Merb or Rails? I don't like (some internals of)
ActiveRecord,
so when using Rails  I would try to use DataMapper. Concerning the
ongoing
merge of Rails&Merb, I'm not sure whether I should start the project
with Merb or Rails?

What do you think, is Rails 3.0 becoming more like Merb or Rails 2?
Using
what framework would require less effort to make it Rails 3
compatible?

:)
Christian
4375b4aca04b8d72482fd409fb6d0b47?d=identicon&s=25 Roderick van Domburg (roderickvd)
on 2009-04-10 13:11
meefster@googlemail.com wrote:
> So I've learned the Ruby basics and now I'm questioning myself if I
> should
> start developing using Merb or Rails? I don't like (some internals of)
> ActiveRecord,
> so when using Rails  I would try to use DataMapper. Concerning the
> ongoing
> merge of Rails&Merb, I'm not sure whether I should start the project
> with Merb or Rails?

Out of curiosity, what don't you like?

> What do you think, is Rails 3.0 becoming more like Merb or Rails 2?
> Using
> what framework would require less effort to make it Rails 3
> compatible?

I can't answer that question. Considering the existing userbases, my
guesstimate would be Rails.

--
Roderick van Domburg
http://www.nedforce.nl

On Apr 10, 7:11 pm, Roderick van Domburg <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-
070ccc073378648141f63e8dba78d4a4?d=identicon&s=25 Piyush Gupta (jhonny)
There are many frameworks and micro-frameworks available .
like sinatra, camping , rails , merb , nanoc etc .
Of those I believe RAILS has the most documentation and can be used
for any
efficiently for any scaling applications .
Besides hostings are also available for Rails without hassles.
Da18f3db63f4f9edb6785c7f22295441?d=identicon&s=25 Jonathan (Guest)
Merb is going to be merged into Rails 3. Here's the blog post:

http://weblog.rubyonrails.org/2008/12/23/merb-gets...

Obviously, I'd go with Rails ;-)

Best,

Jonathan

On Apr 10, 7:19 pm, "meefs...@googlemail.com"
3131fcea0a711e5ad89c8d49cc9253b4?d=identicon&s=25 Julian Leviston (Guest)
Be a little careful with your thinking here or you may be very
surprised at what eventuates as rails 3 ;)

Blog: http://random8.zenunit.com/
Learn rails: http://sensei.zenunit.com/