Forum: Ruby Ruby editor for linux

01cd7a5d8751789819701518f3fe6ffa?d=identicon&s=25 Juan Zanos (Guest)
Does anyone have any suggestions  for a Ruby editor on Linux?   I
usually use TextMate on the mac.    I'm running Kubuntu and I've
tried Kate, Emacs, and vi.   At least with the default setup I can't
say I'm very productive editing Ruby code with any of them.
149379873fe2cb70e550c6bff8fedd0c?d=identicon&s=25 Jeff Schwab (Guest)
Juan Zanos wrote:
> Does anyone have any suggestions  for a Ruby editor on Linux?   I
> usually use TextMate on the mac.    I'm running Kubuntu and I've
> tried Kate, Emacs, and vi.   At least with the default setup I can't
> say I'm very productive editing Ruby code with any of them.

vim.  If you typed vi, you probably got vim, but configured in
"vi-compatible" mode.  Try this:

touch ~/.vimrc
vimtutor
9dec3df8319c613f6f4f14a27da0fdb4?d=identicon&s=25 Kyle Schmitt (Guest)
For quick scripts I'm fond of SciTE.  It's slick, no nonsense coding
goodness.

Some pros & cons

Pros:
lightweight (both cpu and memory)
color syntax highlighting
code folding
multiple files open as tabs
run & debug ruby (and other languages)
runs pretty much identically in Linux, *BSD, OSX, Windows

Cons:
limited to 10 open tabs
<whine>printing is sometimes flaky</whine>
<whine>occasional crashes (about once every few months)</whine>
<whine>line numbers not on by default</whine>
<whine>can run in windows....</whine>

yes, note the whine tags.  They aren't really problems for me.

--Kyle
146e52d49d361f85c0945487452fc6a0?d=identicon&s=25 Ben Lovell (benl)
On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 4:01 PM, Juan Zanos <juan_zanos@talkhouse.com>
wrote:

> Does anyone have any suggestions  for a Ruby editor on Linux?   I usually
> use TextMate on the mac.    I'm running Kubuntu and I've tried Kate, Emacs,
> and vi.   At least with the default setup I can't say I'm very productive
> editing Ruby code with any of them.

Although it is still in it's relative infancy Redcar is shaping up
nicely
and well worth a look. Particularly since most TextMate bundles are
compatible.

http://redcareditor.com/

Ben
134ea397777886d6f0aa992672a50eaa?d=identicon&s=25 Mark Thomas (Guest)
I use NetBeans Ruby edition. I'm very happy with it.
797ef431a5e1295b56c08e1db4c8d2df?d=identicon&s=25 botp (Guest)
On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 12:38 AM, Ben Lovell <benjamin.lovell@gmail.com>
wrote:

> http://redcareditor.com/

looks promising, but i have a problem building it on ruby1.9 on
linux... maybe i will wait more ;)
E227f1da1c86efd4c427ddce749e150b?d=identicon&s=25 Kareem Abd-Elmageed (Guest)
i use Gedit with some useful plug-in , and it do my work excellent
Juan Zanos wrote:
> Does anyone have any suggestions  for a Ruby editor on Linux?   I
> usually use TextMate on the mac.    I'm running Kubuntu and I've tried
> Kate, Emacs, and vi.   At least with the default setup I can't say I'm
> very productive editing Ruby code with any of them.

nedit is nice --- with ruby config in:

http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/ruby_nedit
01bb0d480d4d2777661a15165b842590?d=identicon&s=25 Paganoni (Guest)
le 08/04/2009 18:39, Mark Thomas nous a dit:
> I use NetBeans Ruby edition. I'm very happy with it.

And RadRails (standalone or as an Eclipse plugin) is not bad for pure
Ruby projects too... But it's a resource hog !
A402df36168b81b31c17adcbb5ae8cf4?d=identicon&s=25 Pistos Christou (pistos)
on 2009-04-08 20:12
Juan Zanos wrote:
> Does anyone have any suggestions  for a Ruby editor on Linux?   I
> usually use TextMate on the mac.    I'm running Kubuntu and I've
> tried Kate, Emacs, and vi.   At least with the default setup I can't
> say I'm very productive editing Ruby code with any of them.

I use Diakonos.  Certainly my preference for terminal/tty/ssh editing --
it probably won't supplant GUI editors.

Written entirely in Ruby, extremely configurable, easy to use, and made
especially for people that couldn't or don't want to figure out emacs
and vi(m).  If you can do something in Ruby or with a shell one-liner,
you can assign a key to do it in Diakonos.

Homepage:      http://purepistos.net/diakonos
Announcements: http://blog.purepistos.net/?s=diakonos
IRC:           irc.freenode.net #mathetes
9e6d05909dc733af570faadce1392e67?d=identicon&s=25 Michael Satterwhite (msatterwhite)
on 2009-04-08 20:17
I like Bluefish. Easy to use, supports Ruby highlighting (and almost
everything else) and has project support.
9770ee3431156709c728f6105dd98f0d?d=identicon&s=25 Bosko Ivanisevic (Guest)
On Apr 8, 8:17 pm, Michael Satterwhite <mich...@weblore.com> wrote:
> I like Bluefish. Easy to use, supports Ruby highlighting (and almost
> everything else) and has project support.
>
> --

I use Emacs with emacs-starter-kit and Rinari for Rails. But you can
take a look at E-Texteditor (http://www.e-texteditor.com/). It seems
like it is free for linux and it looks a lot on TextMate and you can
find source on github.
I use bluefish since 4 years and although there are many features I
never need, and some things I lack, I consciously stopped to use either
vim or emacs - because i think that this is a plague of linux which
prevents good GUIs from emerging. The hardcore Linux fans will probably
never understand this, but if everyone uses vim or emacs, evolution will
not happen in "GUI-country".
E6d90572cf67fbf2fd5179429407006a?d=identicon&s=25 Pedro Wood (Guest)
Kyle Schmitt escribió:
> For quick scripts I'm fond of SciTE.  It's slick, no nonsense coding goodness.
>
> Some pros & cons
>
> Cons:
> limited to 10 open tabs

That's only the default configuration, change "buffers=10" on the
configuration file for as many as you want.

Cheers
Juan Zanos wrote:
> Does anyone have any suggestions  for a Ruby editor on Linux?   I
> usually use TextMate on the mac.    I'm running Kubuntu and I've
> tried Kate, Emacs, and vi.   At least with the default setup I can't
> say I'm very productive editing Ruby code with any of them.

There's one written in ruby called arcadia
http://github.com/angal/arcadia/tree/master which will hopefully develop
into something nice :)
That being said, I did learn today that komodo edit has a fuzzy finder
like textmate's [ctrl+shift+o I think].
Cheers!
-=r
Ff9e18f0699bf079f1fc91c8d4506438?d=identicon&s=25 James Britt (Guest)
Mark Thomas wrote:
> I use NetBeans Ruby edition. I'm very happy with it.

I second that, sort of. :)

I much prefer some variation on vim, but I've worked with folks who have
vouched for the powers of Netbeans, folks who also like Textmate.

There is a vi plugin for Netbeans, but it was still not as comfortable
for me as actual vim.  However, if emacs or vim are not your choice, the
project management code, completion, refactoring tools, Rake
integration, built-in help, and other Ruby niceties in Netbeans are
really good.

I strongly recommend taking the time to learn vim or emacs, but
otherwise use Netbeans.

--
James Britt

Aad37b5f7116c8d1f547d23b37566032?d=identicon&s=25 Greg Donald (destiney)
> I use bluefish since 4 years and although there are many features I
> never need, and some things I lack, I consciously stopped to use either
> vim or emacs - because i think that this is a plague of linux

Anyone who uses Emacs then claims to have "stopped" probably never
really used it much to start with.

> which
> prevents good GUIs from emerging. The hardcore Linux fans will probably
> never understand this,

You don't want to really learn the APIs you develop with, I see..  you
need auto-complete to compensate for lack of experience, I completely
understand.

> but if everyone uses vim or emacs, evolution will
> not happen in "GUI-country".

Sure it will, we will just ignore your silly time-wasting mouse-driven
apps and continue to use Emacs and vim as if you hadn't even brought
it up.
Ae16cb4f6d78e485b04ce1e821592ae5?d=identicon&s=25 Martin DeMello (Guest)
On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 12:57 AM, Marc Heiler <shevegen@linuxmail.org>
wrote:
> I use bluefish since 4 years and although there are many features I
> never need, and some things I lack, I consciously stopped to use either
> vim or emacs - because i think that this is a plague of linux which
> prevents good GUIs from emerging. The hardcore Linux fans will probably
> never understand this, but if everyone uses vim or emacs, evolution will
> not happen in "GUI-country".

So, have you filed any bugs or submitted any feature requests to
Bluefish?

martin
621080472679266b8e9b81aff4800398?d=identicon&s=25 Saji N. Hameed (Guest)
* Juan Zanos <juan_zanos@talkhouse.com> [2009-04-09 00:01:53 +0900]:

> Does anyone have any suggestions  for a Ruby editor on Linux?   I
> usually use TextMate on the mac.    I'm running Kubuntu and I've tried
> Kate, Emacs, and vi.   At least with the default setup I can't say I'm
> very productive editing Ruby code with any of them.

http://arcadia.rubyforge.org/  may be worth checking out.

saji
--
Saji N. Hameed

APEC Climate Center
1463 U-dong, Haeundae-gu,                               +82 51 745 3951
BUSAN 612-020, KOREA                        saji@apcc21.net
Fax: +82-51-745-3999
Marc Heiler wrote:
> I use bluefish since 4 years and although there are many features I
> never need, and some things I lack, I consciously stopped to use either
> vim or emacs - because i think that this is a plague of linux

I agree that life is too short to learn emacs.

Personally I use 'joe'. It's not an IDE, it's just an editor, but it is
small, extremely fast, and is non-modal. That is: when you type 'x', a
letter 'x' appears in your document. This may be a novel concept for
some.

It also has simple default keybindings (not ctrl-this-meta-that), and
on-screen help in case you forget the less frequently used ones.

The top line tells you all you need to know:
Ctrl-K H for help

Regards,

Brian.
A4e553483bffb896a38d583b9d9d561d?d=identicon&s=25 Steven J Masta (Guest)
Pedro Wood wrote:
> Kyle Schmitt escribió:
>> For quick scripts I'm fond of SciTE.  It's slick, no nonsense coding goodness.
>>
>> Some pros & cons
>>
>> Cons:
>> limited to 10 open tabs
>>
> That's only the default configuration, change "buffers=10" on the
> configuration file for as many as you want.

And add

line.margin.visible=1

to have line numbers turned on by default.

Steve
1ef8791841b7557cc6ebf99ed114a0f7?d=identicon&s=25 Elsadsis Elsadsis (elsadsis)
on 2009-04-09 15:08

http://www.softwarera.com
http://www.notebookera.com
http://www.mydriversdownload.com

Steven J Masta wrote:

> line.margin.visible=1
>
> to have line numbers turned on by default.

Neat.  Just added those.  I'll point out those complaints were in
<whine> tags ;) but having that little expansion really helps.
Brian Candler wrote:
> some.
How is that different from emacs, or from vim with a beginner-friendly
configuration (e.g. Cream)?

> It also has simple default keybindings (not ctrl-this-meta-that), and
> on-screen help in case you forget the less frequently used ones.
>
> The top line tells you all you need to know:
> Ctrl-K H for help

Did you just say joe doesn't use "not ctrl-this" bindings?  Btw, joe
just came up in comp.editors, but I had never heard of it.  This is
twice in about a week that people have given it positive reviews.  Any
idea why the sudden burst of popularity?
01bb0d480d4d2777661a15165b842590?d=identicon&s=25 Paganoni (Guest)
le 08/04/2009 20:02, Paganoni nous a dit:
> le 08/04/2009 18:39, Mark Thomas nous a dit:
>> I use NetBeans Ruby edition. I'm very happy with it.
>
> And RadRails (standalone or as an Eclipse plugin) is not bad for pure
> Ruby projects too... But it's a resource hog !

I gave NetBean a try since yesterday : it's a better tool than RadRails
considering the bare bone vital functions : editing, syntax coloring,
auto completion, projects management. Netbeans is really faster than
RadRails and didn't bombed (RadRails bombs every day, even on clean
install).
Ae16cb4f6d78e485b04ce1e821592ae5?d=identicon&s=25 Martin DeMello (Guest)
On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 9:15 PM, Jeff Schwab <jeff@schwabcenter.com>
wrote:

> Did you just say joe doesn't use "not ctrl-this" bindings?  Btw, joe just
> came up in comp.editors, but I had never heard of it.  This is twice in
> about a week that people have given it positive reviews.  Any idea why the
> sudden burst of popularity?

I've heard about it for years, and it's always had its share of fans.
I still recommend it for people who want a simple console editor, it's
much better than nano.

martin
46297e1fc82adf7c0223a630c1f4d760?d=identicon&s=25 MRH (Guest)
SO?

As if "evolution" in "GUI-country" were some sort of be all end all.

So what! you have failed to grasp that for many tasks a GUI is not
adequate, and I just can't see what a GUI for applications has to do
with the Linux Kernel.

What's the gibberish about "hardcore" anyway? I have noticed that dumb
and ignorant people tend to use the word hardcore when referring to
anything or anyone they feel threatened by and want to ostracize or
slander . . . interesting. Does that mean that someone who goes to
mass on sundays is a "hardcore" christian? Oh, and the "fans"
label . . . that's funny, people USE the Linux kernel, so I think you
were trying to say "users" . . . not like the Linux kernel is some
kind of tv star people can be a fan of . . .
Greg Donald wrote:

> Anyone who uses Emacs then claims to have "stopped" probably never
> really used it much to start with.

So it's somewhat like heroin then?

:)

--
James Britt

F9458b96d9cd021f6193504abf8b2978?d=identicon&s=25 Bob Hutchison (Guest)

On 8-Apr-09, at 11:01 AM, Juan Zanos wrote:

> Does anyone have any suggestions  for a Ruby editor on Linux?   I
> usually use TextMate on the mac.    I'm running Kubuntu and I've
> tried Kate, Emacs, and vi.   At least with the default setup I can't
> say I'm very productive editing Ruby code with any of them.

Vim (not vi) or emacs, according to your preferences, are essential.
There are some things that will always be easier in one of those
editors.

If you asked me last week, I'd have said something along the lines of:
if you like TextMate give gedit a try
(http://grigio.org/pimp_my_gedit_was_textmate_linux
). Some people I know use it and like it, but I never have, so I don't
really know. I know some people who like NetBeans, I don't personally,
but it'll probably be worth a look.

As of this week I'm taking a real liking to RubyMine (beta build 820,
now 824) (http://www.jetbrains.com/ruby/index.html). IntelliJ, so far,
is the only IDE-like editor that ever kept me away from vim for any
period of time. Very nice. RubyMine is a Ruby 'version' of IntelliJ.
Nowhere as advanced as IntelliJ, but with the same point of view. It
has improved dramatically in the last several months (I gave up on the
beta around build 450 or something). There's something of a learning
curve on this thing, kind of like vim or emacs, so don't be jumping to
conclusions after flailing around for a few minutes -- check out the
screen casts and the all of the tips-of-the-day (in the help menu).
Now, having used it for 20-30 hours, I'm thinking I'm going to be
*very* happy with it.

Cheers,
Bob

----
Bob Hutchison
Recursive Design Inc.
http://www.recursive.ca/
weblog: http://www.recursive.ca/hutch
797ef431a5e1295b56c08e1db4c8d2df?d=identicon&s=25 botp (Guest)
On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 1:23 AM, Joel VanderWerf > nedit is nice ---
with ruby config in:

> http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/ruby_nedit

hi joel, i get an error below upon accessing the homepage

An error has been encountered in accessing this page.
1. Server: redshift.sourceforge.net
2. URL path: /nedit/
3. Error notes: NONE
4. Error type: 403
5. Request method: GET
6. Request query string: NONE
7. Time: 2009-04-10 02:30:50 UTC (1239330650)
botp wrote:
> 3. Error notes: NONE
> 4. Error type: 403
> 5. Request method: GET
> 6. Request query string: NONE
> 7. Time: 2009-04-10 02:30:50 UTC (1239330650)

Oops. Sourceforge has been changing things around lately, but the file
is still there, if you know where to look:

http://redshift.sourceforge.net/nedit/ruby-nedit.pats