Forum: Ruby on Rails What does the ' %s ' mean ?

460ead051b49c0b2a8e45e46252d4bda?d=identicon&s=25 Tom Ha (tom)
on 2009-04-08 16:06
Hi there,

can anyone explain to me how I have to understand the:

  %s

in the following code line:

  yield :error, "There was a problem resending your activation code,
please try again or %s.", "resend_activation_path"

Whant does it stand for, what does it mean, what does it do?

Thanks!
Tom
Tom Ha wrote:

>   yield :error, "There was a problem resending your activation code,
> please try again or %s.", "resend_activation_path"
>
> Whant does it stand for, what does it mean, what does it do?

Google for "printf", alone.
9b4c04c050122bcea16a6f3376d680fa?d=identicon&s=25 Daniel Bush (danb)

> please try again or %s.", "resend_activation_path"
>
> Whant does it stand for, what does it mean, what does it do?

I'm not familiar with that particular bit of code, but I think this
relates
to the "%" method for String classes in ruby.  See
http://www.ruby-doc.org/core/classes/String.html#M000785 .

This is ruby's way of doing format control letters and modifiers.  If
you've
programmed in C etc or something like awk, you often use these in print
statements (eg printf) to format strings and numbers etc.
Whenever I have to look these up I check out the gawk reference - here's
one
online:
http://www.gnu.org/software/gawk/manual/gawk.html#...

Simple example in ruby:

"foo%s" % "bar"
=> "foobar"

"foo%05d" % 1
=> "foo00001"

--
Daniel Bush

http://blog.web17.com.au
http://github.com/danielbush/sifs/tree/master
http://github.com/danielbush
460ead051b49c0b2a8e45e46252d4bda?d=identicon&s=25 Tom Ha (tom)
on 2009-04-08 17:15
Thanks a lot!