Forum: RSpec debuggin cucmber script in ruby

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
F05e172ec1523b228e8abc6e36ff39bc?d=identicon&s=25 Anil Gollaa (ganil_22)
on 2009-04-06 14:11
basically to debug a ruby script we use:
ruby -rspecs -rdebug file.rb
which would debug ruby script line by line.

Is there any such debuging feauture in cucumber.
C694a032be7518a0d704318895f8fe1d?d=identicon&s=25 Ben Mabey (mabes)
on 2009-04-06 16:02
(Received via mailing list)
Anil Gollaa wrote:
> basically to debug a ruby script we use:
> ruby -rspecs -rdebug file.rb
> which would debug ruby script line by line.
>
> Is there any such debuging feauture in cucumber.
>
I just require 'ruby-debug' and set a debugger statement where I want to
stop it.  When you run cucumber it will pop into rdg where you set the
breakpoint.
If that doesn't make sense, this post has more detail:

http://technicalpickles.com/posts/debugging-cucumber

-Ben
F05e172ec1523b228e8abc6e36ff39bc?d=identicon&s=25 Anil Gollaa (ganil_22)
on 2009-04-06 17:41
hi,
Thanks for the information,
When i run cucumber testfile.feature, I was able to halt execution at
breakpoint, but when i type 'n'. it is getting in to
/lib/cucumber/ast/step_invocation.rb:33 and some other lib files of
cucumber.

I just want to debug line by line of the script, instead of getting in
to cucumber files.

please help me in this regard
C694a032be7518a0d704318895f8fe1d?d=identicon&s=25 Ben Mabey (mabes)
on 2009-04-06 18:43
(Received via mailing list)
Anil Gollaa wrote:
> please help me in this regard
>
Sorry, but I don't know of anything that will automatically allow you to
skip over framework code.. Although, that would be very cool.  My best
suggestion would be to set multiple breakpoints and hit "c" to continue
to the next one so you can skip through all of Cucumber's code.

-Ben
F86901feca747abbb5c6c020362ef2e7?d=identicon&s=25 Zach Dennis (zdennis)
on 2009-04-07 02:40
(Received via mailing list)
On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 12:21 PM, Ben Mabey <ben@benmabey.com> wrote:
>> cucumber files.
>>
>> please help me in this regard
>>
>
> Sorry, but I don't know of anything that will automatically allow you to
> skip over framework code.. Although, that would be very cool.  My best
> suggestion would be to set multiple breakpoints and hit "c" to continue to
> the next one so you can skip through all of Cucumber's code.
>

I will sometimes set a global variable to help me flag when to debug,
if the code in question gets executed multiple times. e.g.

   $c = true if my_condition_is_met

And then...

  debugger if $c


> -Ben
> _______________________________________________
> rspec-users mailing list
> rspec-users@rubyforge.org
> http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/rspec-users
>



--
Zach Dennis
http://www.continuousthinking.com
http://www.mutuallyhuman.com
Ee6788c2faaad7a5cd0bc466c9ea60d8?d=identicon&s=25 aidy lewis (Guest)
on 2009-04-07 16:47
(Received via mailing list)
On 07/04/2009, Zach Dennis <zach.dennis@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 12:21 PM, Ben Mabey <ben@benmabey.com> wrote:

>  >   My best
>  > suggestion would be to set multiple breakpoints and hit "c" to continue to
>  > the next one so you can skip through all of Cucumber's code.

> I will sometimes set a global variable to help me flag when to debug,
>  if the code in question gets executed multiple times. e.g.
>
>    $c = true if my_condition_is_met
>
>  And then...
>
>   debugger if $c

Some useful tips, but I feel the ruby-debug tutorials that exist are
lacking. Would it be fitting for me to add a Cucumber and ruby-debug
page on the Wiki?

Aidy
0be0e4aa42aacd9a8a95c792de273ca7?d=identicon&s=25 Aslak Hellesøy (aslakhellesoy)
on 2009-04-07 17:52
(Received via mailing list)
On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 4:30 PM, aidy lewis
<aidy.lewis@googlemail.com>wrote:

> >
> >    $c = true if my_condition_is_met
> >
> >  And then...
> >
> >   debugger if $c
>
> Some useful tips, but I feel the ruby-debug tutorials that exist are
> lacking. Would it be fitting for me to add a Cucumber and ruby-debug
> page on the Wiki?
>

A page titled ruby-debug would be great Aidy!

Aslak
48641c4be1fbe167929fb16c9fd94990?d=identicon&s=25 Mark Wilden (Guest)
on 2009-04-07 18:03
(Received via mailing list)
On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 7:30 AM, aidy lewis <aidy.lewis@googlemail.com>
wrote:
>
> Some useful tips, but I feel the ruby-debug tutorials that exist are
> lacking. Would it be fitting for me to add a Cucumber and ruby-debug
> page on the Wiki?

With webrat, the following is pretty useful:

When /^I view the response$/ do
  save_and_open_page
end
C694a032be7518a0d704318895f8fe1d?d=identicon&s=25 Ben Mabey (mabes)
on 2009-04-07 18:20
(Received via mailing list)
On Apr 7, 2009, at 8:30 AM, aidy lewis wrote:

>>
> Aidy
That would be great!  Thanks for offering.

-Ben
369b9fd2a0d9e7cdbc60907a2a056ad9?d=identicon&s=25 Scott Taylor (Guest)
on 2009-04-07 18:47
(Received via mailing list)
On Apr 7, 2009, at 11:54 AM, Ben Mabey wrote:

>>
>> Some useful tips, but I feel the ruby-debug tutorials that exist are
>> lacking. Would it be fitting for me to add a Cucumber and ruby-debug
>> page on the Wiki?
>>
>> Aidy
>
>
> That would be great!  Thanks for offering.

I've been meaning to do a ruby-debug screencast for quite some time.

Although it won't be specific to cucumber, I'll post it on the wiki
when I get around to it.

Scott
Cdf378de2284d8acf137122e541caa28?d=identicon&s=25 Matt Wynne (mattwynne)
on 2009-04-08 23:22
(Received via mailing list)
On 7 Apr 2009, at 17:23, Scott Taylor wrote:

>>>>> My best
>>>> And then...
>> That would be great!  Thanks for offering.
>
> I've been meaning to do a ruby-debug screencast for quite some time.
>
> Although it won't be specific to cucumber, I'll post it on the wiki
> when I get around to it.
>
> Scott

This is really good. It's short and sweet, and makes you realise
there's really not much to it at all:
http://railscasts.com/episodes/54-debugging-with-ruby-debug

Matt Wynne
http://blog.mattwynne.net
http://www.songkick.com
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.