Forum: GNU Radio BBN 802.11b questions

F8c67168687ff78ffe36b97ad5764f66?d=identicon&s=25 Colby Boyer (Guest)
Hi All,

Has anyone looked into implementing the higher bit rates (5.5Mbit and
11Mbit) of 802.11b using complementary code keying (CCK)? If CCK does
have
to be implemented from scratch, would it be more beneficial to implement
G,
which would provides a large number of speeds with one scheme (OFDM)?

Also, does anyone know if the BBN code on the USRP could communicate
with
hardware 80211b (ASIC) equipment? I've heard that there are issues with
ack
latency. If there is a problem, did the BBN people bother to implement
the
acks in their code?

Regards,
Colby Boyer
D4f6aa720f15aa01a59fa77c9ac7ee46?d=identicon&s=25 Danilo Valerio (Guest)
Hi Colby,

> Hi All,

> Has anyone looked into implementing the higher bit rates (5.5Mbit and
> 11Mbit) of 802.11b using complementary code keying (CCK)? If CCK does have
> to be implemented from scratch, would it be more beneficial to implement G,
> which would provides a large number of speeds with one scheme (OFDM)?

A student from us is working on implementing IEEE802.11p (yes, "p" - it
is not a typo) with GnuRadio and USRP2.
In order to do this he will first look into 802.11g and 802.11a.
He started his master-thesis some weeks ago. Therefore, results are not
yet expected very soon.

> Also, does anyone know if the BBN code on the USRP could communicate with
> hardware 80211b (ASIC) equipment? I've heard that there are issues with ack
> latency. If there is a problem, did the BBN people bother to implement the
> acks in their code?

We have tried in these days to transmit broadcast frames from a
wifi-card to the USRP2 and viceversa.
Broadcast does not require ACKs, but still no success... :-(

> Regards,
> Colby Boyer

Best Regards,
Danilo
D9b2772a9387f5dbe010dbc0c3a93f8d?d=identicon&s=25 Douglas Geiger (Guest)
D4f6aa720f15aa01a59fa77c9ac7ee46?d=identicon&s=25 Danilo Valerio (Guest)
Hi Douglas,

Douglas Geiger wrote:

> As I recall, the transmit functionality of the original BBN code was
> not standards compliant: due to the limited bandwidth of the USRP1 it
> did not actually do DSSS (or CCK, etc.) - it created the frame, and used
> DBSK (and possibly DQPSK) - but I don't think it did any sort of spreading.
> Doug

Actually I think that spreading IS implemented (see barker sequence).
As far as I remember, the legacy IEEE802.11 at 1 Mbps uses DBPSK and
barker sequence.
Any 802.11b/g card should be able to receive that.

If this is correct,
I believe that, by putting a wifi-card in monitor/passive mode, a frame
correctly transmitted from the USRP will be decoded by the card.
If your card allows you to disable CRC check at MAC layer, then you
should see the frame also on wireshark (as a malformed packet)...

I'll let you know if it works out!

In the meanwhile, if you find errors in my thoughts, well tell me and I
save time for something more useful! ;-)

bye,
Dan :-)