Forum: Ruby on Rails authentication from scratch

149379873fe2cb70e550c6bff8fedd0c?d=identicon&s=25 Jeff Schwab (Guest)
Could you please recommend tutorials on developing one's own
authentication mechanisms, without the use of industrial-strength
plugins?

Is this tutorial from 2006 obsolete?

   http://www.aidanf.net/rails_user_authentication_tutorial

I spent several person-days trying to install and use
restful_authentication, but it was mostly a frustrating, labor-intensive
exercise in futility. [1, 2]  I then found this prescient article by
David Heinemeier Hansson from 2005:

http://weblog.rubyonrails.org/2005/11/11/why-engin...

I don't share his philosophical issues with pluggable engines, but in
practice, he seems to have been spot on.  Impressive!

[1] The current issues are FixtureClassNotFound errors in the
out-of-the-box unit tests on Debian; I've tried Ruby 1.87 and 1.9.1,
each with two variations of restful-authentication:

   http://svn.techno-weenie.net/projects/plugins/rest...
   http://github.com/technoweenie/restful-authenticat...

(Why are those different, anyway?)  FWIW, after some minor bug-fixing,
the plugin works fine on Mac OS X.

[2] I've also had headaches with git, which has a steep learning curve,
no matter how vehemently Linus decrees otherwise.
Just for the record I installed and setup restful_authentication with no
problems.

Persevere with git.  It seems strange at first if you have been used to
svn
but after a while you will wonder how you managed without it.
Particularly
if you use it on your own projects.

Colin

2009/4/3 Jeff Schwab <jeff@schwabcenter.com>
627f0a46a5ea5729951b8224833ca653?d=identicon&s=25 Mark Turner (Guest)
On Apr 3, 9:36 am, Jeff Schwab <j...@schwabcenter.com> wrote:
> Could you please recommend tutorials on developing one's own
> authentication mechanisms, without the use of industrial-strength plugins?

Sure thing:
http://railscasts.com/episodes/21-super-simple-aut...

Cheers,
Mark Turner
On Apr 3, 12:36 pm, Jeff Schwab <j...@schwabcenter.com> wrote:

> I spent several person-days trying to install and use
> restful_authentication, but it was mostly a frustrating, labor-intensive
> exercise in futility

> The current issues areFixtureClassNotFounderrors in the
> out-of-the-box unit tests

This issue went away when I tried

  script/generate authenticated user sessions

rather than

  script/generate authenticated users sessions

The plugin itself does not seem to have any problem with the plural
"users", but the tests die (error, not failure) with unintuitive
output.