Forum: GNU Radio Software Communication Architecture (SCA) and GNU Radio

6a45b88d7c88057c7fcd2102a6478bce?d=identicon&s=25 Sheng Liao (sheng)

Basically, SCA and GNU Radio are two different methods to implement SDR.
However, SCA has CORBA as software bus to add different applications. I
am thinking if I can treat GNU Radio as non-CORBA modem applications and
plug GNU Radio into the SCA core framework through a adapter. I think
that I need some guides at this moment to figure out if this direction
is possible. If anyone has comments, please tell me!! Thank you so much
for your time and help!!!

Sheng
D7ed4f25cff722f7889f55b6f918c77d?d=identicon&s=25 Jakub Moskal (Guest)
Sheng,

are you familiar with OSSIE project (http://ossie.mprg.org) ? It's an
open source SCA implementation and they use USRP as their RF front
end. Perhaps that could be a better place to start. However, I'm not
sure what is your ultimate goal.

Jakub

2009/4/2 sheng <sheng_uc@yahoo.com>:
Bf9f933ba2147185954d9766d9f7c72f?d=identicon&s=25 Philip Balister (Guest)
Jakub Moskal wrote:
> Sheng,
>
> are you familiar with OSSIE project (http://ossie.mprg.org) ? It's an
> open source SCA implementation and they use USRP as their RF front
> end. Perhaps that could be a better place to start. However, I'm not
> sure what is your ultimate goal.

I've always thought it would be interesting to encapsulate a gnu radio
flow graph inside an SCA component. This would provide a rapid component
development environment for SCA waveform developers.

I'm very familiar with the SCA and OSSIE and know enough GNU Radio to be
dangerous. I strongly suspect you could create gnu radio blocks to adapt
the GNU Radio control and data interfaces to the SCA port structures. I
haven't had time to look into this, but I am pretty sure it could be
prototyped in a few weeks.

This would be an interesting exercise. At first I saw this as a way to
get around the old single threaded nature of GNU Radio, but the thread
per block scheduler resolved that issue in a much cleaner way. The rapid
prototyping for SCA waveform development is still very interesting.

Philip
6a45b88d7c88057c7fcd2102a6478bce?d=identicon&s=25 Sheng Liao (sheng)
on 2009-04-14 03:45
Hi Philip,

Sorry for the late reply. I am new in this field. Is it possible for you
to explain more?

> I've always thought it would be interesting to encapsulate a gnu radio
> flow graph inside an SCA component. This would provide a rapid component
> development environment for SCA waveform developers.
>
> I'm very familiar with the SCA and OSSIE and know enough GNU Radio to be
> dangerous. I strongly suspect you could create gnu radio blocks to adapt
> the GNU Radio control and data interfaces to the SCA port structures. I
> haven't had time to look into this, but I am pretty sure it could be
> prototyped in a few weeks.

  Dangerous??

> This would be an interesting exercise. At first I saw this as a way to
> get around the old single threaded nature of GNU Radio, but the thread
> per block scheduler resolved that issue in a much cleaner way. The rapid
> prototyping for SCA waveform development is still very interesting.
>
> Philip

Thank you,
Sheng
Sheng Liao wrote:
>> dangerous. I strongly suspect you could create gnu radio blocks to adapt
>> the GNU Radio control and data interfaces to the SCA port structures. I
>> haven't had time to look into this, but I am pretty sure it could be
>> prototyped in a few weeks.
>
>   Dangerous??

Sometimes I forget we aren't all native english speakers ...

Basically, I know more about the SCA than about GNU Radio. But I know
enough about GNU Radio and make useful flow graphs and changes, but some
of my work might not be as good as it could be :)

Hopefully, that makes more sense.

Philip