Forum: GNU Radio Re: LW/AM/SW radio very cheap in laptop?

3d593de8acbe2510722af740d8668352?d=identicon&s=25 Firas Abbas (Guest)

--- On Thu, 4/2/09, John Gilmore <gnu@toad.com> wrote:

> There's another chance to get kids into radio...
>
> If a high volume kids' laptop had stereo "HD audio" ports available
> (24-bit 192 kHz converters, 95 db input and 100 db output), how cheap
> and small a circuit could you build onto that motherboard to provide
> useful LW/AM radio reception?
>
>     John

Here is my 2 cents:

1) AM signals known to be strong, RF Gain may not be required.

2) Undersampling can be used to downconvert/digitize AM signals.

3) RF Tunning is the problem. We have to think for away to use the
voltage from one of the audio output ports to control a bandpass filter
center frequency (voltage controlled filter).

4) Software demodulation.

Best Regards,

Firas