Forum: Ruby RDoc::usage has gone

6c95d69cfd18add84e561d632928b1df?d=identicon&s=25 James Ponder (Guest)
Hi

RDoc::usage was removed from ruby at the beginning of 2008, and thus is
not present in Ruby 1.9.1:

Fri Jan 11 18:28:49 2008  Eric Hodel
        * lib/rdoc/usage.rb: Removed.
        * lib/getoptlong.rb: Update example to not use
lib/rdoc/usage.rb.

It was a very useful function that allowed documentation in rdoc format
to be programmatically output.  I've been using it for displaying
extended information either after an OptionsParser help summary output
or as a replacement when OptionsParser's output isn't suitable.  It's
also very useful for other information-display reasons where you want
information in rdoc format to also be programmatically available to
avoid duplication.

It seems a shame that it has gone, especially as it is documented in the
pickaxe book (second edition) and is widely deployed.

What is a suitable replacement?

James
On Apr 1, 2009, at 14:52, James Ponder wrote:
> displaying extended information either after an OptionsParser help
> summary output or as a replacement when OptionsParser's output isn't
> suitable.  It's also very useful for other information-display
> reasons where you want information in rdoc format to also be
> programmatically available to avoid duplication.
>
> It seems a shame that it has gone, especially as it is documented in
> the pickaxe book (second edition) and is widely deployed.
>
> What is a suitable replacement?

There's no reason you can't take rdoc/usage.rb from RDoc 1, modernize
it and release it as a gem.