Forum: Ruby on Rails Installing passenger on a 20-node farm; tool for automation?

190c84aff72f9f8501f5b182490c2a19?d=identicon&s=25 Chris Johnson (ujohnc00)
on 2009-03-31 23:59
Hi there.

I am installing passenger across our cluster, but this question applies
to software management in general across a farm.

Can you recommend a tool for installing/upgrading software (e.g.
passenger, apache, monit) on an arbitrarily big app server farm?

Thanks,
Chris
2505b282d57c29be797dc35b245adb4c?d=identicon&s=25 Philip Hallstrom (Guest)
> I am installing passenger across our cluster, but this question
> applies
> to software management in general across a farm.
>
> Can you recommend a tool for installing/upgrading software (e.g.
> passenger, apache, monit) on an arbitrarily big app server farm?

Try puppet.
190c84aff72f9f8501f5b182490c2a19?d=identicon&s=25 Chris Johnson (ujohnc00)
on 2009-04-01 00:59
Philip Hallstrom wrote:
>> I am installing passenger across our cluster, but this question
>> applies
>> to software management in general across a farm.
>>
>> Can you recommend a tool for installing/upgrading software (e.g.
>> passenger, apache, monit) on an arbitrarily big app server farm?
>
> Try puppet.

Cool, puppet looks like a great solution (although it looks fairly
involved, so I'll have to read up a bit more).

Thanks.
Ac1c51f25718910e4a6d19ee44b5d465?d=identicon&s=25 Kevin Elliott (Guest)
On Mar 31, 2009, at 2:59 PM, Chris Johnson wrote:

> I am installing passenger across our cluster, but this question
> applies
> to software management in general across a farm.
>
> Can you recommend a tool for installing/upgrading software (e.g.
> passenger, apache, monit) on an arbitrarily big app server farm?

If you're willing to run Ubuntu 8.10 right now for all 20 nodes,
'moonshine' from RailsMachine works really well!

It can automatically build out a full stack (Apache, Passenger, MySQL,
etc) on systems that have yet to have been installed (and then
continue to maintain and upgrade them).

Rails Machine Projects - Moonshine, Rails Machine Gem, Shadow Puppet

It should work with other distros (and other versions of Ubuntu), but
will require some retrofitting.

I've used this tool on a few linode instances so far, and have been
very pleased (although I'm still learning to use it).

-Kevin
190c84aff72f9f8501f5b182490c2a19?d=identicon&s=25 Chris Johnson (ujohnc00)
on 2009-04-01 01:27
Kevin Elliott wrote:
> On Mar 31, 2009, at 2:59 PM, Chris Johnson wrote:
>
>> I am installing passenger across our cluster, but this question
>> applies
>> to software management in general across a farm.
>>
>> Can you recommend a tool for installing/upgrading software (e.g.
>> passenger, apache, monit) on an arbitrarily big app server farm?
>
> If you're willing to run Ubuntu 8.10 right now for all 20 nodes,
> 'moonshine' from RailsMachine works really well!
>
> It can automatically build out a full stack (Apache, Passenger, MySQL,
> etc) on systems that have yet to have been installed (and then
> continue to maintain and upgrade them).
>
> Rails Machine Projects - Moonshine, Rails Machine Gem, Shadow Puppet
>
> It should work with other distros (and other versions of Ubuntu), but
> will require some retrofitting.
>
> I've used this tool on a few linode instances so far, and have been
> very pleased (although I'm still learning to use it).
>
> -Kevin

Good info; I'll check moonshine out.  The servers are mature (they
already have most software package installed, running in a production
environment), so I'll have to see if moonshine excels both on clean
installs and on machines with existing packages.

Cheers.
C8bab84fce42ea6a2b3440a30119d749?d=identicon&s=25 Earl Ruby (Guest)
On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 3:59 PM, Chris Johnson
<rails-mailing-list@andreas-s.net> wrote:
> Cool, puppet looks like a great solution (although it looks fairly
> involved, so I'll have to read up a bit more).

Puppet is one of those tools that takes about a day to learn enough
for it to be useful, and after about three days you can't get along
without it, and after a week you're cursing yourself for not learning
to use it sooner.

(Highly recommended.)

--
Earl Ruby
http://earlruby.org/
Earl Ruby wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 3:59 PM, Chris Johnson
>> Cool, puppet looks like a great solution (although it looks fairly
>> involved, so I'll have to read up a bit more).
>
> Puppet is one of those tools that takes about a day to learn enough
> for it to be useful, and after about three days you can't get along
> without it, and after a week you're cursing yourself for not learning
> to use it sooner.
>
> (Highly recommended.)
>
> --
> Earl Ruby
> http://earlruby.org/

Funny comment.

Ok, I'm convinced.  Thanks for that kick in the pants.