Forum: Ruby on Rails Question: An application made with Ruby on Rails is Open Source by default?

F4b3671d7e1ba608d1d9065fd3a964ff?d=identicon&s=25 Dorian (Guest)
Hello everybody,

I'm about to enter the Ruby on Rails Community after reading a lot of
good feedback on the Internet and the Agile Programming book also.

Before starting to develop my application I would like to clear one
last thing (or doubt). I was told that using applications that are
developped in Ruby on Rails are Open Source by default. Is that true?
(In my case, it will be a commercial application, so Open Source is
not an option for the moment)

Thank you in advance for your kind answer.

Best regards,
Dorian
On Mar 31, 8:53 am, Dorian <dorian.l...@gmail.com> wrote:

Rails is under the MIT license which doesn't place any obligations on
you (other than stuff like no warranty is provided for Rails etc. )

Fred
F4b3671d7e1ba608d1d9065fd3a964ff?d=identicon&s=25 Dorian Lupu (Guest)
Thank you Fred for your quick answer.

Looks like i'll start soon my application using RoR!

Best Regards,
Dorian

2009/3/31 Frederick Cheung <frederick.cheung@gmail.com>
On Mar 31, 10:29 am, Dorian Lupu <dorian.l...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you Fred for your quick answer.
>
> Looks like i'll start soon my application using RoR!

Also (and I am not a lawyer etc.) if what you've got is just a hosted
service it wouldn't matter if you had to gpl your code because (at
least under the gpl v2) you're usully not actually distributing your
app, so none of the provisions about providing source code kick in.

Fred
Dorian Lupu wrote:
> Thank you Fred for your quick answer.
>
> Looks like i'll start soon my application using RoR!

However, if you use MySQL, make sure you fully understand their license
if you want to distribute your app. I decided to use PostgreSQL just in
case.
Fernando Perez wrote:
[...]
> However, if you use MySQL, make sure you fully understand their license
> if you want to distribute your app. I decided to use PostgreSQL just in
> case.

Interesting point.  Just another reason to avoid mySQL -- as if we
needed more reasons! :)

Best,
--
Marnen Laibow-Koser
marnen@marnen.org

> Best,
> --
> Marnen Laibow-Koser
> marnen@marnen.org
> http://www.marnen.org

I would also agree that this is an interesting point after skimming the
MySQL
license and reading through some threads.

-Conrad