Forum: Ruby on Rails RubyonRails GUI for Leopard?...

007821bd5ddc3d4cffa2eb7c4b20ca15?d=identicon&s=25 zensuite (Guest)
Hi everybody, I'm a web developer interested on moving to rubyonrails
framework, and I'm looking for a good GUI or integrated suite to
develop rails under leopard, or linux.

Could do you give me any advise about it?...

I will appreciate your help.

Thanks folks.

See ya!!
Cee2bfe6b28e92e8ff5507cde0736cad?d=identicon&s=25 Martin Eisenhardt (Guest)
Hi zensuite,

zensuite wrote:
> Hi everybody, I'm a web developer interested on moving to rubyonrails
> framework, and I'm looking for a good GUI or integrated suite to
> develop rails under leopard, or linux.

If you would like to use a free (as in beer and in speech) GUI, then
have a look at the Netbeans IDE [1] - it is quite good to develop RoR
apps and provides you with all the little things that comes with a real
IDE. Netbeans runs on Linux, MacOS, Windows.

Especially RoR devs on macs like to use TextMate [2] which does not come
for free (neither beer nor speech) but has some nice gimmicks, too. But
TextMate is more of a sophisticated text editor and not a full-blown
GUI. You may have seen TextMate in action in the excellent Railscasts
[3] series of screencasts by Ryan Bates. TextMate is only available for
MacOS.

Take your pick ... :-D

Regards
Martin

[1] http://www.netbeans.org/
[2] http://www.macromates.com/
[3] http://www.railscasts.com/
239a70da80d3959611470d87ca8f0755?d=identicon&s=25 ashchan (Guest)
TextMate, on OS X, definitely.
Bde8d8f24c1ca83f452b5a9d03d5ead6?d=identicon&s=25 Wouter de Bie (xinit)
on 2009-03-30 01:51
There are multiple options. I'm using Aptana RadRails a lot, since I
code both on macs and linux systems.
zensuite wrote:
> Hi everybody, I'm a web developer interested on moving to rubyonrails
> framework, and I'm looking for a good GUI or integrated suite to
> develop rails under leopard, or linux.

By "GUI", do you mean an IDE, or something else?

If you mean an IDE, I'd say that Rails needs an IDE a lot less than,
say, most Java frameworks.  That said, I do my Rails development in
jEdit (on Leopard), which certainly qualifies as an IDE; see
http://marnen.livejournal.com/23723.html for more information.  I used
to use Eclipse/Aptana, but it got to seem too heavyweight and
underpowered.  I might try NetBeans at some point -- but neither it nor
Eclipse has a working word wrap function!

About the only thing I really miss from Eclipse is Mylyn.

Best,
--
Marnen Laibow-Koser
marnen@marnen.org
http://www.marnen.org
E3432acdf7dc1d0216266e9fe88a7804?d=identicon&s=25 Todd Blanchard (Guest)
On Mac OS X I use XCode.  It is quite good and free.  Specifically,
you want to use the XCode "Organizer" Just launch XCode and rather
than create a project (which you don't need) go to the Window menu and
choose Organizer.  Drag the root folder from your rails project into
the left outline pane and you've got quick access to the files in your
project with syntax coloring. I like it fine for rails and php
projects.
Ca60fdd835b147b250ab0e1053952023?d=identicon&s=25 Lark Dark (ericfer)
One more point for TextMate. Quite clean and lightweight.
A few colleagues of mine are using MacVIM and they were using TextMate
before that.

See ya
Eric Fer
Ea52242ae25d195415cd9ef31db72aeb?d=identicon&s=25 Felix (Guest)
TextMate is definitely great. I have to give another vote for Netbeans
though. It is free, runs on both Linux and OS X and it has by far the
most features. The main disadvantage is that it is heavy, soe
depending on your machine performance can be quite sluggish.
Todd Blanchard wrote:
> On Mac OS X I use XCode.  It is quite good and free.  Specifically,
> you want to use the XCode "Organizer" Just launch XCode and rather
> than create a project (which you don't need) go to the Window menu and
> choose Organizer.
[...]

Thanks; I'll try this!  I've really enjoyed Xcode the few times I've
used it, so I'll be interested to see how well it works for Web apps.

Best,
--
Marnen Laibow-Koser
marnen@marnen.org