Code Review: Various .NET interop tests

This is one of the weak areas for our Git setup. I have multiple commits
that need review. I honestly feel that Git needs the concept of a push
object, so I could say look at this, or these pushes. So, options to
help you review:

  •     Click on each of these links and leave comments

  •     Use git however you want

  •     Use Git Extensions (if you clone

git://github.com/jredville/ironruby.git, and setup Git Extensions, you
should be able to click on each commit, and each file at your leisure)

  •     GitDiff 17de3f82 8a54299 (Unfortuneately, this will include

commits and files from IronRuby’s main repo’s pushes)

We’re trying to figure something better out, including possibly using
Review Board (http://review-board.org). So, now for the actual review:

This a some work on Generic Method specs, as well as more general work
on a first pass of the test plan
(http://ironruby.net/.NET_Testing_plans).

  •     modify .gitignore to ignore Bin in addition to

binhttp://github.com/jredville/ironruby/commit/f1ae28a5810c2c985984509a8cd75426170febd2

  •     add dlr_config to IronRuby

objecthttp://github.com/jredville/ironruby/commit/b210faca750b08a41aa8667509ac1560dba5352a

  •     csc describe handles shared specs (multiple arguments) and we

now emit
http://github.com/jredville/ironruby/commit/c863df5295a5b273cd9bc55b04388473a924e718

#line pragmas instead of
commentshttp://github.com/jredville/ironruby/commit/c863df5295a5b273cd9bc55b04388473a924e718

  •     adding some generic tests and fixing tags, also make

default.mspec load
http://github.com/jredville/ironruby/commit/33916da95ffd1d3edc372cc018244506c40f6d76

ir.exe instead of
ir.cmdhttp://github.com/jredville/ironruby/commit/33916da95ffd1d3edc372cc018244506c40f6d76

  •     adding some constrained generic

specshttp://github.com/jredville/ironruby/commit/2e151df2150776ee536518c79b9e150045c697f3

  •     added generic error messages specs. Fixed tag

locationshttp://github.com/jredville/ironruby/commit/b0f28633e2bad7ad64adfa670a185efcb1883160

  •     split pragma warning to make sure I do not disable unintended

warnings.
http://github.com/jredville/ironruby/commit/8167bd51b5c5a1665a56849df520d83b015fc838

Refactor conflicting
methodshttp://github.com/jredville/ironruby/commit/8167bd51b5c5a1665a56849df520d83b015fc838

  •     added class param and conflicting type param

specshttp://github.com/jredville/ironruby/commit/4819985516558b47819caf5b3979ca25a017ff56

  •     adding specs for ruby classes with type constraints and for a

secondary
http://github.com/jredville/ironruby/commit/9f40c77354aaba6930ef968bb40df26ea6ae629c

(base class) type
constraint)http://github.com/jredville/ironruby/commit/9f40c77354aaba6930ef968bb40df26ea6ae629c

  •     array conversion

specshttp://github.com/jredville/ironruby/commit/f47f33b057afac0e99b92dbfc557fe67fbb2b46c

  •     array instantiation

specshttp://github.com/jredville/ironruby/commit/183983621076f7bb4f45e7c9c22118e3b3e2f252

  •     redid IronRuby.dlr_config after Tomas' IronRuby

changeshttp://github.com/jredville/ironruby/commit/a446fbd0bb2c0a5788ee452f8a784d77ce5bd39c

  •     adding a default conversion spec and a little bit of

refactoringhttp://github.com/jredville/ironruby/commit/b43afd9f71cd5273f1d9b3f777f620812ee2af58

  •     more array

testshttp://github.com/jredville/ironruby/commit/600a3aed26f21c092d2c9efccbd722d0c7a8bb3a

  •     spec for a static method caching bug i

foundhttp://github.com/jredville/ironruby/commit/2c7f69786a4c6afb852bd2bfe86af42c74ae3ee6

  •     spec method overriding maintains .NET

supermethodhttp://github.com/jredville/ironruby/commit/82e5a3bad6cd0fa0a9b9572730007aa22ef05a43

  •     refactor to add some metaclass

helpershttp://github.com/jredville/ironruby/commit/4c9d1df91350db6a82e3f26c10fb073fee00cc53

  •     class instantiation

specshttp://github.com/jredville/ironruby/commit/fa6de43521f4f87964dde49a100787f9325f419f

  •     some more class instantiation

specshttp://github.com/jredville/ironruby/commit/42b0882d0cd6297378060591af17f77f79067936

  •     sealed class instantiation

specshttp://github.com/jredville/ironruby/commit/21eaf4cae6b73c9ae7a6cdc565a0faf17f770220

  •     generic instantiation

specshttp://github.com/jredville/ironruby/commit/5e8cf7298067a9d80fb5806ad9fa2ac7a0f76878

  •     make GenericClass have a method so it isn't

EmptyGenericClasshttp://github.com/jredville/ironruby/commit/47b05ed4b6a01cdc501b2514c91a2744d06762f0

  •     more generic instantiation

specshttp://github.com/jredville/ironruby/commit/8a54299a822d8bde5451ccb91d5d1545a5aa1778

Looks good to me. I left comments where appropriate, but nothing
stopping you from checking in.

[...]

Could you have avoided doing pulls from the main repo? Not ideal but
given the tools we have, we will have to figure out a solution that
balances all interests.

You could have a separate branch for active work if you do need pulls
for main for some other reason like doing code reviews for others, just
keeping on top of whats going on, etc.

Also, if you can manage to avoid pulls from the main repo, should
rebasing be recommended? You want to do frequent pushes maily to back up
your changes in the cloud, and so rebasing sounds like a good option
once you are finally happy with the changes and want to push it into
your master branch. It will be easier to browse file histories…

Also, I suppose this issue is not unique to IronRuby. How do other
projects deal with code reviews, keeping file history less noisy, etc?

Thanks,
Shri

[...]

As a slight variation/summarization, I’d suggest making a branch for any
specific change you’ll be making, especially if it’ll be made up of
multiple commits. Pulls could be made on master, and merged into the
branch as needed. Then, you could rebase and present the change as one
commit to your master branch, which then could go out for code review.

Though, I liked having many small changes, since the modified-file-count
was small per link, so it was almost like having a file list. Though
github makes it a bit irritating that it doesn’t show the diffs of new
or deleted files, so you have to click on each one of those.

~js

[...]

Cool. As part of pulling this into TFS, I’m going to add ClrAssembly to
Ruby.sln so that we build it from VS.

JD