Forum: Ruby Ruby 1.9 # coding: utf-8

Be07c8d0d6867fd9a0d525f7d17600e2?d=identicon&s=25 Damjan Rems (ther)
on 2009-03-27 13:09
I am trying some ruby 1.9. taste for the first time and I have got to
this new behaviour. Since my location is in Estern Europe, most of my
source files are coded in utf-8. I have found out that I should use #
coding: utf-8 if I want to omit nasty "rubyArchiveTesti.rb:82: invalid
multibyte char (US-ASCII)" error.

Where can I set that all my source files are encoded in utf-8, since I
don't like the idea of editing them all.

by
TheR
On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 8:05 AM, Damjan Rems <d_rems@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I am trying some ruby 1.9. taste for the first time and I have got to
> this new behaviour. Since my location is in Estern Europe, most of my
> source files are coded in utf-8. I have found out that I should use #
> coding: utf-8 if I want to omit nasty "rubyArchiveTesti.rb:82: invalid
> multibyte char (US-ASCII)" error.
>
> Where can I set that all my source files are encoded in utf-8, since I
> don't like the idea of editing them all.

-Ku does this but it's not recommendable.  If your code needs to run
on any other computers, it would need to be run with this flag.
The source encoding magic comments are just a reality of Ruby 1.9
based development, and it seems that your problem could be solved by
better settings in your editor to automatically add this line for you.

-greg

foo.rb:

p __ENCODING__

$ ruby19 foo.rb
#<Encoding:US-ASCII>
 $ ruby19 -Ku foo.rb
#<Encoding:UTF-8>

-greg
Aaca034456897ccbc8bb14953c4a41c1?d=identicon&s=25 Radosław Bułat (radarek)
On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 1:05 PM, Damjan Rems <d_rems@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I am trying some ruby 1.9. taste for the first time and I have got to
> this new behaviour. Since my location is in Estern Europe, most of my
> source files are coded in utf-8. I have found out that I should use #
> coding: utf-8 if I want to omit nasty "rubyArchiveTesti.rb:82: invalid
> multibyte char (US-ASCII)" error.
>
> Where can I set that all my source files are encoded in utf-8, since I
> don't like the idea of editing them all.

You should get to like it. It's only *1* line per file. Image that
someone with differencts locale wants to use your file. He shoulnd't
care what encoding did you use.

If you are too lazy to write it by habd you can write some script
which do that for you ;).

--
Pozdrawiam

Rados³aw Bu³at
http://radarek.jogger.pl - mój blog
Be07c8d0d6867fd9a0d525f7d17600e2?d=identicon&s=25 Damjan Rems (ther)
on 2009-03-27 14:13
Radosław Bułat wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 1:05 PM, Damjan Rems <d_rems@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> I am trying some ruby 1.9. taste for the first time and I have got to
>> this new behaviour. Since my location is in Estern Europe, most of my
>> source files are coded in utf-8. I have found out that I should use #
>> coding: utf-8 if I want to omit nasty "rubyArchiveTesti.rb:82: invalid
>> multibyte char (US-ASCII)" error.
>>
>> Where can I set that all my source files are encoded in utf-8, since I
>> don't like the idea of editing them all.
>
> You should get to like it. It's only *1* line per file. Image that
> someone with differencts locale wants to use your file. He shoulnd't
> care what encoding did you use.
>
> If you are too lazy to write it by habd you can write some script
> which do that for you ;).
>

> --
> Pozdrawiam
>
> Rados�aw Bu�at
> http://radarek.jogger.pl - m�j blog

Yeah. But it kind-a iratete me since I haven't seen this in all those
what is different in ruby 1.9 since 1.8.6 documents I have been reading.
It was not even trivial to find the solution.

It's my first day and I was suppose to love it. But almost none of my
programs work as before.

I have just realized that reading file takes about 50x times more on my
Vista then in 1.8.6. (on XP also). Lets go bug reporting.

by
TheR
On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 9:09 AM, Damjan Rems <d_rems@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Yeah. But it kind-a iratete me since I haven't seen this in all those
> what is different in ruby 1.9 since 1.8.6 documents I have been reading.
> It was not even trivial to find the solution.
>
> It's my first day and I was suppose to love it. But almost none of my
> programs work as before.

Why do you expect they should?  Ruby 1.9 represents a completely new
generation of Ruby, and had a whole year of a 'testing period' before
it's first stable release.   If you don't pay attention to what's
going on, and then expect something to 'just work', you're asking for
trouble.  That said, although there are minor tweaks that need to be
made to most Ruby 1.8 based software, it's normally a quick process to
get things running on Ruby 1.9.

-greg
On Mar 27, 2009, at 8:09 AM, Damjan Rems wrote:

> Yeah. But it kind-a iratete me since I haven't seen this in all those
> what is different in ruby 1.9 since 1.8.6 documents I have been
> reading.
> It was not even trivial to find the solution.

I've been working on character encoding documentation for both Ruby
1.8 and Ruby 1.9 on my blog:

   http://blog.grayproductions.net/articles/understanding_m17n

I haven't got to the 1.9 stuff yet, but I promise it's coming…

James Edward Gray II