Forum: IronRuby Pair debugging

Aea6cfe04952626ab630bde47ff82f89?d=identicon&s=25 Shri Borde (Guest)
I spent a couple of hours this morning debugging RubyGems unit test
failures along with Jirapong Nanta. It was a fun exercise. We tracked
down two issues and hopefully Jirapong found the experience useful to
jump start his exploration of the IronRuby code base.

I am open to helping others too. I have put the following notes at the
bottom of http://wiki.github.com/ironruby/ironruby/debugging to ensure
that we can have a productive session. Jirapong had done his homework,
gotten RubyGems to work cleanly with MRI, and done a bit of debugging
himself, which is why we had a productive session.
Pair debugging with experienced IronRuby developers

Some experienced IronRuby developers may be available to debug a problem
with you. Watching over their shoulder can help a newcomer to the code
base learn debugging tips and techniques. To make this a fruitful
exercise, please follow the following guidelines:
*         Send email to
ironruby-core@rubyforge.org<mailto:ironruby-core@rubyforge.org> asking
if any experienced developer is available to help you
*         Ensure that you can build and successfully run all of the
RubySpec<http://wiki.github.com/ironruby/ironruby/rubyspec> tests.
*         Restrict the problems to pure Ruby code which is known to work
with MRI. Ensuring a clean working baseline functionality in MRI ensures
that the problem truly in IronRuby. Without a known clean MRI baseline,
the problem can be in a component other than IronRuby which you are as
well-equipped to diagnose as anyone else.
*         Set up a clean repro. Spend time ensuring that it is not a
configuration issue, and that the problem can be easily reproduced on
other machines. Document detailed information about your platform,
version of IronRuby, and the steps to repro the problem.
*         Do basic debugging by yourself beforehand. This will ensure
that you get the most out of the session and can keep up with what's
going on over Live Meeting.
*         Set up Live Meeting<http://livemeeting.com> on your machine,
which will allow you to watch the debugging session.
*         Add the experienced developer as a friend/buddy in some Chat
program so that you can ask questions during the debugging session.
Thanks,
Shri
E1deaac6561498a0e7472e6268ea9ccc?d=identicon&s=25 Jimmy Schementi (Guest)
Awesome idea! We don't use these newfangled collaboration tools enough,
so I'm all for whatever can make collaboration easier =)

[...]

806ef55917f436850d2c4b0a5703e7cc?d=identicon&s=25 Jirapong Nanta (jirapong)
Yes!, It has been very helpful to me. I can see what i need to prepare
and looking for when get an error.

I found the debugger method is very powerful -
http://gist.github.com/61605
  >> and would be nice if It can auto load when Ruby.Console is start?

encourage everyone to try & contribute
Thank you,
-Jirapong
Aea6cfe04952626ab630bde47ff82f89?d=identicon&s=25 Shri Borde (Guest)
I am planning on looking at bugs in some Ruby apps this week. If anyone
wants to look over my virtual shoulder with Live Meeting as a way to
jump start contributing
patches<http://wiki.github.com/ironruby/ironruby/contributing> to
IronRuby, let me know and we can plan a time that works for all. Times
that work for me are 10-12am PST Wednesday, and most working hours on
Thursday and Friday. The session will probably be a couple of hours, you
will need to have Live Meeting working, and you should be able to do
builds and run tests cleanly on your machine (see details below).

Shri