Forum: Ruby on Rails Help with a validation issue..? Tying 2 validations together

86bf6a4d4103b1acbc6d23939ce57800?d=identicon&s=25 dhmspector (Guest)

I am trying to validate a field upon the presence of a value of
another field -- the two are linked

for example  my records have fields like this:

    t.decimal  "admin_headcount",                    :precision =>
10, :scale => 2,  :default => 0.0
    t.decimal  "admin_comp",                           :precision =>
10, :scale => 2,  :default => 0.0

My forms have fields for entering of both values, however, the form
should post an error if the user tries to submit the form if there is
a non-zero value for headcount but the compensation amount is zero,
and vice versa.

Is there a way to tie
     validates_numericality_of :admin_comp
     validates_numericality_of :admin_headcount

to each other..?
In essence:  validates_numericality_of :admin_comp,
unless :admin_headcount <= 0

any simple and obvious way to accomplish this..?

regards,
  DHMS
Aad37b5f7116c8d1f547d23b37566032?d=identicon&s=25 Greg Donald (destiney)
On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 1:26 PM, dhmspector <dhmspector@gmail.com>
wrote:
> In essence:  validates_numericality_of :admin_comp,
> unless :admin_headcount <= 0
>

> any simple and obvious way to accomplish this..?

validates_numericality_of :admin_comp, :unless => Proc.new{ |r|
r.admin_headcount <= 0 }

--
Greg Donald
http://destiney.com/