Forum: GNU Radio documentation of the gnuradio python modules

85ffd97bae0e78056e1d06312744d7d1?d=identicon&s=25 feldmaus (Guest)
Hi All,

i only want to say,it would be nice to have a clearer and
more comprehensive gnuradio python modules documentation with
examples.

This would solve many basic problems !

The documentation at,
https://radioware.nd.edu/documentation/a-dictionar...
seems to b a good beginning. This is the only side where few
gnuradio modules are documented !

I know there are examples, but they are sparse documented.

Regards Markus
B22e1b01ee2edc1bdd77eeb90fd4d5b4?d=identicon&s=25 Martin Braun (Guest)
On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 12:42:04PM +0000, feldmaus wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> i only want to say,it would be nice to have a clearer and
> more comprehensive gnuradio python modules documentation with
> examples.
>
> This would solve many basic problems !

Hi Markus,

as explained in
http://gnuradio.org/trac/wiki/Tutorials/WritePytho..., the
Doxygen generated docs are also very useful for Python development,
since the functions which export the blocks to the Python domain are
always mapped in the same way (e.g. gr_make_sig_source_f becomes
gr.sig_source_f etc.). I always have a browser window open with my local
copy of the Doxygen files when developing GR and I find it very easy to
jump straight to the correct block documentation thanks to the
categories of signal processing blocks.
The only disadvantage I see is that default arguments don't show up in
the doxy-docs - but as the source code is always linked into the
documentation, this is very easy to find if necessary.

I admit this might be a bit cumbersome for people who don't want to
touch the C++ domain at all, but for someone who at least knows how to
read the code it doesn't take much getting used to.

As for examples, between the unit tests and the files in
gnuradio-examples and gr-utils, there really is loads of stuff to choose
from regarding examples. grep and find are your friends.

I'm sorry that this answer doesn't exactly give you what you asked for -
but even though I agree that documentation is not GNU Radio's strongest
point, I must say the way the code is organised makes it extremely easy
to find oneself's way around without too much of a hassle. Just give it
a try, I doubt you'll find it that hard yourself.

Cheers
MB
85ffd97bae0e78056e1d06312744d7d1?d=identicon&s=25 Markus Feldmann (Guest)
Martin Braun schrieb:
> Hi Markus,
>
> as explained in
> http://gnuradio.org/trac/wiki/Tutorials/WritePytho..., the
> Doxygen generated docs are also very useful for Python development,
Ok for python development, but not for using python.
> I admit this might be a bit cumbersome for people who don't want to
> to find oneself's way around without too much of a hassle. Just give it
> a try, I doubt you'll find it that hard yourself.
>
> Cheers
> MB
Hi Martin and thanks for your answer,

I am an user not developer, so i am not reading C++ code
to understand how this function works. C++ code is not
equal documentation. And there is also a need for long
discriptions. You are using the API like a reference book.
A reference book is useful, but not for beginners.

A beginner doesn't know which possibilities are there to solve
a specific problem ! Where in the API is written which
solutions exists to get an offset in the amplitude ? (for example)
Ok a beginner could read the whole API first and than
maybe he knows it. There is still a difference between "i know there
is a function which could be useful" and the "knowledge to use this
method correctly".

The examples are very useful, but it should be more explained
step by step. The API could be more useful, if all parameters are
explained. The API doesn't give me any answer how to solve my
problem, but give me infos about the paramter type i can load
into some method and the return type.
It is nice that there is a short explanation of some methods,
but for difficult methods it should be more explained.

Regards Markus
85ffd97bae0e78056e1d06312744d7d1?d=identicon&s=25 feldmaus (Guest)
Hi All,

can somebody of the developers give me a hint,
where the fftsink2 is documented in the doxygen API ?

Regards Markus
4252201ac30d6dd44d8090ce1070e35f?d=identicon&s=25 Josh Blum (Guest)
For gr blocks, doxygen is the place to look. For wxgui graphical sinks,
take a look at the python code:
http://gnuradio.org/trac/browser/gnuradio/trunk/gr...