Forum: Ruby installing ruby

40f64c8d2805f4006795353b68b42fb6?d=identicon&s=25 Dave Pursey (4pbears)
on 2009-03-21 19:16
i just got a new computer with vista home premium, and was wondering if
i will have any problems installing ruby on it?

                                               Thanks.

                                               Dave.
Dave Pursey wrote:

> i just got a new computer with vista home premium, and was wondering if
> i will have any problems installing ruby on it?

I switched from Vista to Kubuntu and the difference was like night and
day. I
can compile Ruby from scratch in <2 minutes, where Vista took like >20.
There's
just no excuse for such sloppy programming from MS.

You might try the One Click Installer; it will work for all the common
Ruby tasks...
On 21.03.2009 21:06, Phlip wrote:
> Dave Pursey wrote:
>
>> i just got a new computer with vista home premium, and was wondering if
>> i will have any problems installing ruby on it?
>
> I switched from Vista to Kubuntu and the difference was like night and
> day. I can compile Ruby from scratch in <2 minutes, where Vista took
> like >20. There's just no excuse for such sloppy programming from MS.

Actually it may be less on cygwin (didn't try yet).  And if you use the
current 1.8.x release then you can even install the binaries from
cygwin.

Btw, one speed factor might be your virus scanner on Vista which you
likely do not have on Linux, so the comparison might be a bit unfair.

Cheers

  robert