Forum: Ruby INeedzPrepend

45196398e9685000d195ec626d477f0e?d=identicon&s=25 Thomas Sawyer (7rans)
Ruby's gone too long now without something --anything, in the way of
this:

http://groups.google.com/group/ruby-core-google/br...

A long time ago Matz suggested :pre and :post method modifiers, but we
never got them. #prepend seems simpler, and certainly easier to
implement.

Can I get an amen? Can I get support to put this a fast track? It's an
exceptionally powerful idea (maybe not full blown cut-aop powerful,
but it covers the most important aspects. hehe, pun intended).

T.
On Mar 20, 2009, at 02:59 , Trans wrote:

> Can I get an amen? Can I get support to put this a fast track? It's an
> exceptionally powerful idea (maybe not full blown cut-aop powerful,
> but it covers the most important aspects. hehe, pun intended).

You do realize that we all know that you two are the same person, right?
On Mar 20, 2:15 pm, Ryan Davis <ryand-r...@zenspider.com> wrote:
> On Mar 20, 2009, at 02:59 , Trans wrote:
>
> > Can I get an amen? Can I get support to put this a fast track? It's an
> > exceptionally powerful idea (maybe not full blown cut-aop powerful,
> > but it covers the most important aspects. hehe, pun intended).
>
> You do realize that we all know that you two are the same person, right?

What two people?
On Mar 20, 2009, at 11:42 , trans wrote:

>> You do realize that we all know that you two are the same person,
>> right?
>
> What two people?

nice try...
B1b1d33e0655e841d4fd8467359c58d0?d=identicon&s=25 Yossef Mendelssohn (Guest)
On Mar 20, 3:10 pm, Ryan Davis <ryand-r...@zenspider.com> wrote:
> On Mar 20, 2009, at 11:42 , trans wrote:
> > On Mar 20, 2:15 pm, Ryan Davis <ryand-r...@zenspider.com> wrote:
> >> You do realize that we all know that you two are the same person,
> >> right?
> >
> > What two people?
>
> nice try...

I'm going to help out here because I don't want to see a slight
communication problem devolve into looking like Ryan's a complete dick
and Trans is hopelessly befuddled. And all this time, the bystanders
won't know anything of the intricacies of their delicate point/
counterpoint, thrust and parry and riposte.

Ryan is pointing out that Trans and Thomas Sawyer are not two
different people, as might be guessed by the differing monikers. In
fact, "Trans" (or "trans") is some sort of alias for Thomas Sawyer. Or
maybe it's the other way around. That point isn't entirely clear to
me.

HTH, HAND
D7463bd611f227cfb2ef4da4a978a203?d=identicon&s=25 Christopher Dicely (Guest)
On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 2:59 AM, Trans <transfire@gmail.com> wrote:
> exceptionally powerful idea (maybe not full blown cut-aop powerful,
> but it covers the most important aspects. hehe, pun intended).

Isn't ruby-core the place to suggest changes to the Ruby language?
Further, I don't really see the need here: if you need AOP-like
features in Ruby, there are frameworks (e.g., Aquarium) that provide
this feature and a lot more. Why does this specific feature need to be
a core feature of the language?
F8fd54072606eaf5603484e756672034?d=identicon&s=25 John Wells (Guest)
On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 5:48 PM, Christopher Dicely <cmdicely@gmail.com>
wrote:
>> Can I get an amen? Can I get support to put this a fast track? It's an
>> exceptionally powerful idea (maybe not full blown cut-aop powerful,
>> but it covers the most important aspects. hehe, pun intended).
>
> Isn't ruby-core the place to suggest changes to the Ruby language?
> Further, I don't really see the need here: if you need AOP-like
> features in Ruby, there are frameworks (e.g., Aquarium) that provide
> this feature and a lot more. Why does this specific feature need to be
> a core feature of the language?

You're not fooling us either..."Chris".

:-p
John Wells wrote:
> You're not fooling us either..."Chris".
>
> :-p

:)

Please, it's Friday afternoon (here anyway), so everybody just crack
open a cold one, and enjoy some classic Monty Python:

http://www.ibras.dk/montypython/episode09.htm#3
45196398e9685000d195ec626d477f0e?d=identicon&s=25 Thomas Sawyer (7rans)

> > What two people?
>
> nice try...

Hey Ryan, did you know matz is actually Yukihiro Matsumoto! Yes, the
saem guy who create Ruby.

I know. I know. How deceptive! I think you better stop talking to
_that_ guy, or using his language. You never know what kind of tricks
he might be up to.

T.
On Mar 20, 4:35 pm, Yossef Mendelssohn <ymen...@pobox.com> wrote:
> me.
Yossef, as anyone that's been around here for more then a few months
probably already knows, is correct. TRANS, if you really want to know,
is an acronym for my name.

Okay... now back to actual Ruby matters....

T.
On 20.03.2009 10:59, Trans wrote:
> exceptionally powerful idea (maybe not full blown cut-aop powerful,
> but it covers the most important aspects. hehe, pun intended).

I am not sure what you mean by "put this a fast track" but the feature
seems useful for me.  I even put together an implementation of this
quite a while ago.  So, I support, having this in the language at some
point in time X << infinity (and probably also X < 2012).

Cheers

  robert
On Mar 21, 6:51 am, trans <transf...@gmail.com> wrote:
> TRANS, if you really want to know, is an acronym for my name.

An acronym? Really? That's some Kiefer Sutherland action you have
going on there. (See http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000662/bio.)

You don't have to reveal your full name if you don't want, but I'm
just going to guess it's Thomas Robert Allan Nicholas Sawyer.
On Mar 20, 2009, at 13:35 , Yossef Mendelssohn wrote:

> I'm going to help out here because I don't want to see a slight
> communication problem devolve into looking like Ryan's a complete dick
> and Trans is hopelessly befuddled. And all this time, the bystanders
> won't know anything of the intricacies of their delicate point/
> counterpoint, thrust and parry and riposte.
>
> Ryan is pointing out that Trans and Thomas Sawyer are not two
> different people, as might be guessed by the differing monikers. In
> fact, "Trans" (or "trans") is some sort of alias for Thomas Sawyer. Or
> maybe it's the other way around. That point isn't entirely clear to
> me.

Aaaaactually, I was taking a much further leap. I was insinuating that
TRANS and roger pack were one and the same. We've got a lunchtime
debate going on at work and I flipped sides after seeing the ruby-core
thread followed by TRANS' "can I get an amen" (?!?!!) on here.
On Mar 21, 5:28 pm, Yossef Mendelssohn <ymen...@pobox.com> wrote:
> On Mar 21, 6:51 am, trans <transf...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > TRANS, if you really want to know, is an acronym for my name.
>
> An acronym? Really? That's some Kiefer Sutherland action you have
> going on there. (Seehttp://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000662/bio.)

"Kiefer William Frederick Dempsey George Rufus Sutherland "

Wow! Starts to remind me of <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
Enemy_Mine_(film)">Enemy Mine</a>. Did you see that movie? The aliens
are asexual and their names are a continuation of their parents.
Coming of age requires the recitation of all the names.

> You don't have to reveal your full name if you don't want, but I'm
> just going to guess it's Thomas Robert Allan Nicholas Sawyer.

Close!

In my family it is traditional to have two middle names after each of
the grandfathers. Robert is my dad's father, and Norris it my mother's
father. Norris has a son named Nicholas though ... so like I said,
close!

The A on the other hand is something I added when I was young after my
childhood hero of "The Once and Future King".

T.