Forum: Ruby on Rails Polymorphic URL's and Uncountable Resources

3cb5aadfd1626e37759e987c7184e372?d=identicon&s=25 Brendon Muir (spike)
Hi everyone, I've noticed an inconsistency in the way rails deals with
uncountable resources and restful routes.

Basically if you map an uncountable resource rails will append
'_index' to the end of some routes to avoid route clashes between the
routes that deal with singular resources and plural resources. That's
all fine but on the other end, with the polymorphic path generator, it
doesn't generate the correct path. using form_for [@podcast_series]
generates something like podcast_series_path. If called from a form it
should be smart enough to realise that we want the update path and
call podcast_series_index_path.

Has anyone else come up against it? I'm not savvy enough to write a
patch for rails so how do I get this investigated? Does anyone have a
solution?

Cheers,

Brendon
18a4cfd669d998263f9824ed5efeab41?d=identicon&s=25 Michael Rigart (damick)
on 2010-01-12 20:20
Brendon Muir wrote:
> Hi everyone, I've noticed an inconsistency in the way rails deals with
> uncountable resources and restful routes.
>
> Basically if you map an uncountable resource rails will append
> '_index' to the end of some routes to avoid route clashes between the
> routes that deal with singular resources and plural resources. That's
> all fine but on the other end, with the polymorphic path generator, it
> doesn't generate the correct path. using form_for [@podcast_series]
> generates something like podcast_series_path. If called from a form it
> should be smart enough to realise that we want the update path and
> call podcast_series_index_path.
>
> Has anyone else come up against it? I'm not savvy enough to write a
> patch for rails so how do I get this investigated? Does anyone have a
> solution?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Brendon

I noticed that this bug is still resides in Rails. Is there a path for
this problem? How did you fix it?