Forum: RSpec what's the meaning of to_param?

Ffd881829651935d986c52d12279befb?d=identicon&s=25 Zhenning Guan (rubyernewbie)
on 2009-03-19 13:46
usually, I just use this way.

=====
@weather = mock_model(Weather)
=====

but recently I saw this. so what's the :to_param and :save options
meaning?

======
@weather = mock_model(Weather, :to_param => "1", :save => true)
======
F86901feca747abbb5c6c020362ef2e7?d=identicon&s=25 Zach Dennis (zdennis)
On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 8:46 AM, Zhenning Guan <lists@ruby-forum.com>
wrote:
> @weather = mock_model(Weather, :to_param => "1", :save => true)
> ======

http://www.railsbrain.com/api/rails-2.2.2/doc/inde...

It's a Rails thing, used when converting an object to a URL
representation.

> --

Zach Dennis
http://www.continuousthinking.com
http://www.mutuallyhuman.com
F86901feca747abbb5c6c020362ef2e7?d=identicon&s=25 Zach Dennis (zdennis)
>> ======
>> @weather = mock_model(Weather, :to_param => "1", :save => true)
>> ======
>
> http://www.railsbrain.com/api/rails-2.2.2/doc/inde...
>
> It's a Rails thing, used when converting an object to a URL representation.

Oops, sorry, I misread your question.

mock_model will provide you with #to_param so the only thing I can
think w/o knowing more is if whoever wrote the spec wanted to
specifically expect, look for, or somehow use the "1" that came from
to_param. They wanted to know that specific the result of
@weater.to_param was being used (which will be used be number of Rails
helpers).

My best guess on the save call is that the implementation is going to
call save, and the author of the spec by default wants it to be
successful for any subsequent examples.