Forum: NGINX Nginx with LVS on Linux

79357699fddd25bbc065f91b62a03780?d=identicon&s=25 hirantha (Guest)

I'm planing to use nginx on existing LVS load balancer with more than 10
numbers of web servers as back-ends. My main objective is to use nginx
as a reverse-proxy while compressing the data streaming. Since the LVS
running on Linux, I have planned to run the Nginx on the same Linux box
though I have tested it on FreeBSD.

Here is the setup I am looking for

[CLIENT] --> [NGINX+LVS+PULSE] --> [WEB SERVER FLEET]

I will be running LVS for to load balance user connections requesting
coming through Nginx and forward to back-end servers in Round-robin
algorithm . LVS also handing the the persistence, healthchecks and
failovers with pulse (piranha).

I would like to know is there a performance degration on Nginx when
moving from FreeBSD to Linux (Rhel5)..?
I will be testing the setup to run nginx and lvs on same box but is this
feasible..? I googled but haven't seen any posts regards to nginx+lvs.

I wonder is there any way that we could run nginx with keepalived while
nginx to handle the load balancing and completely replace LVS. Right now
I'm running two back-end servers front-end with nginx reverse-proxy;
every time when I refresh the browser it connecting to back-end servers
in round-robin method. I can't keep the session connected to single
back-end server (persistence).

I would really appreciate your advice.

Thanks in advance
Hirantha
47ae1eeb09c4bda88ab6da6f6407e463?d=identicon&s=25 Cherife Li (Guest)
On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 at 16:56:41 +0530, hirantha wrote:

> Hi,
Hi Hirantha,

> I'm planing to use nginx on existing LVS load balancer with more than 10
> numbers of web servers as back-ends. My main objective is to use nginx
> as a reverse-proxy while compressing the data streaming. Since the LVS
> running on Linux, I have planned to run the Nginx on the same Linux box
> though I have tested it on FreeBSD.
>
> Here is the setup I am looking for
>
> [CLIENT] --> [NGINX+LVS+PULSE] --> [WEB SERVER FLEET]
Maybe offing topic, but you may try:
  Clients --> Varnish (for caching) --> HAProxy (L7 LB/Proxy) --> Nginx
WebSrvs

> I will be running LVS for to load balance user connections requesting
> coming through Nginx and forward to back-end servers in Round-robin
> algorithm . LVS also handing the the persistence, healthchecks and
> failovers with pulse (piranha).
Good enough. But HAProxy gives you more power on LB and Proxying.

> I would like to know is there a performance degration on Nginx when
> moving from FreeBSD to Linux (Rhel5)..?
> I will be testing the setup to run nginx and lvs on same box but is this
> feasible..? I googled but haven't seen any posts regards to nginx+lvs.
>
> I wonder is there any way that we could run nginx with keepalived while
> nginx to handle the load balancing and completely replace LVS. Right now
See above.

> I'm running two back-end servers front-end with nginx reverse-proxy;
> every time when I refresh the browser it connecting to back-end servers
> in round-robin method. I can't keep the session connected to single
> back-end server (persistence).
Consider to use shared session storage with Memcached.

There are lots of features I just can't tell in details regarding
Varnish, HAProxy. I think they'll give you much more choices.

Hope that helps.
79357699fddd25bbc065f91b62a03780?d=identicon&s=25 hirantha (Guest)
Hi Cherife,

Thank you for the quick response.

Cherife Li wrote:
>> Here is the setup I am looking for
>>
>> [CLIENT] --> [NGINX+LVS+PULSE] --> [WEB SERVER FLEET]
> Maybe offing topic, but you may try:
>   Clients --> Varnish (for caching) --> HAProxy (L7 LB/Proxy) --> Nginx WebSrvs

My idea is to use nginx to do compression for back-end servers. HAProxy
or Varnish does not support
such feature. I don't need nginx to do load balance and persistence but
only compression. LVS doing
an outstanding job on load balancing and session handling (persistence)
while pulse (piranha) doing
  helthchecks and failovers.

I have read some post of persistence+round robin within nginx which
seems to be not successful.

Any suggestion is much appreciated.

Hirantha