Forum: Ruby on Rails Rails Version

6febf965d2e10d78c8a41b21240c70e1?d=identicon&s=25 NARAYANAN CJ (Guest)
hi there,

Can i have two version of rails 2.2.2 and 1.2.3 on the same executable
location. Is that possible

regards,

Narayanan.cj.
36ed63ef68c172f148c491418395d0b5?d=identicon&s=25 rubyguy@ymail.com (Guest)
On 19 Mar., 07:12, NARAYANAN CJ <cjnarayanan....@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi there,
>
> Can i have two version of rails 2.2.2 and 1.2.3 on the same executable
> location. Is that possible

It is possible to have two version of the Rails gem installed but the
"rails" executable will always be replaced when installing another
version of Rails. So you probably can't have two versions of Rails in
the same executable.

--
Cheers,
David Knorr
> the same executable.
Your average executable from a rubygem is just a tiny stub that loads
the gem in question and runs some entry point in it, so you can
usually do (in particular for rails)

rails _2.1.1_ someproject

to run the 2.1.1 version of the rails app generator.

Fred
6febf965d2e10d78c8a41b21240c70e1?d=identicon&s=25 NARAYANAN CJ (Guest)
thank you guys

i was actually having an application which was built on rails version
1.2.3
and i have other application on my desktops running with rails version
2.2.2

when i ran ruby script/server , i was told to change the setting in the
enviornment.rb to change to rails version=1.2.3

and i tried changing that but has no effect as it doesnt have the rails
version 1.2.3

and later ,i was doing gem install rails -v=1.2.3  , after insalling
when i
typed rails -v its shown me rails 2.2.2

but when i tried removing using the command gem uninstall rails it was
asking me to remove which version , so i am sure that my rails different
version was installed

then later i tried to run my application ruby script/server after
changing
the version of rails as 1.2.3 in the environment.rb file  wow,i got my
app
working with out any probs

thank you all guys for the help

regards
narayanan cj

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 3:39 PM, Frederick Cheung <
D3fc5887a2f39f2e0c8989d39ce5e6f9?d=identicon&s=25 Bharat Ruparel (bruparel)
You can have as many versions of rails installed on your machine as
you want.  The key to running a particular version of rails is in the
environment.rb file where you can specify the version that you are
running.  So I have both Rails 2.1.2 and 2.3.1 installed on the same
machine and I switch to the desired version by setting it in the
environment.rb as shown below:

# Specifies gem version of Rails to use when vendor/rails is not
present
RAILS_GEM_VERSION = '2.1.2' unless defined? RAILS_GEM_VERSION

As the comment says above, you can even freeze a particular version of
rails in your vendor/rails directory and that will be used for that
particular application.

Bharat