Forum: Ruby Ruby monitoring websites, databases and more on windows

7d9b52b827844af1dde7dc3639a83243?d=identicon&s=25 Diego Bernardes (di3go)
on 2009-03-18 21:39
Im happy now, hehe, the company im working only using .net technology
and i
convinced my boss to give me a small project to prove how can ruby could
help the company.

Now the project!

I need keep track of the status of the websites, webservices, servers,
databases, disk space and so on windows servers.

I really dont know nothing about ruby and windows, the last time i
tested the mri i didint liked, was very slow and not all things worked
fine, first question, what is the best ruby implementation to windows?
Jruby?

What is the best approach? Make a ruby daemon to keep track of
everything and than the website interact with the daemon or the website
directly ping the services i want know if is alive?

The project gonna be a web application, gonna use Ramaze or Sinatra,
probabily Ramaze.

Thanks everyone ;)
Install nagios?

http://www.nagios.org/about/

Unless you *want* to build your own wheel.

-Rob

Rob@AgileConsultingLLC.com
6e366eb5a71be2bad7f383d42aeb4788?d=identicon&s=25 Justin Collins (Guest)
Diego Bernardes wrote:
> I really dont know nothing about ruby and windows, the last time i
>

> Thanks everyone ;)

Depending on what you have to monitor, you can probably use SNMP for
most of that. There is a Ruby library for that [1].

-Justin

[1]http://snmplib.rubyforge.org/
On Mar 18, 2009, at 3:37 PM, Diego Bernardes wrote:

> I need keep track of the status of the websites, webservices, servers,
> databases, disk space and so on windows servers.

You may want to have a look at Scout:

   http://scoutapp.com/

James Edward Gray II