Forum: Ruby on Rails Recommended webserver for deploying Rails

2eac5554aeb88694468a955a0db2b274?d=identicon&s=25 Joshua Partogi (Guest)
Dear all,

What is the best architecture in terms of performance for Rails. Is
lighttpd + mongrel the most recommended deployment architecture for
Rails? Or is there any better architecture that outperform this
architecture?

Thank you very much in advance.

--
If you can't believe in God the chances are your God is too small.

Read my blog: http://joshuajava.wordpress.com/
Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/jpartogi
1e7782e67bb34c9c67ed19d5cde5f4eb?d=identicon&s=25 Tom Z Meinlschmidt (Guest)
phusion passenger + apache?

Joshua Partogi wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> What is the best architecture in terms of performance for Rails. Is
> lighttpd + mongrel the most recommended deployment architecture for
> Rails? Or is there any better architecture that outperform this
> architecture?
>
> Thank you very much in advance.

> Dear all,
>
> What is the best architecture in terms of performance for Rails. Is
> lighttpd + mongrel the most recommended deployment architecture for
> Rails? Or is there any better architecture that outperform this
> architecture?

As far as I can tell the big 2 these days are nginx + mongrel, apache
+ passenger and probably quite a few people using apache + mongrel.

Fred
247cd3d37084a3d6794076207bd9fbd7?d=identicon&s=25 Bob Martens (Guest)
Well, in my experience there are probably three ways to go:

apache + passenger*
apache + mongrel/thin
nginx + mongrel/thin

Personally, I run with just apache + passenger from this point
forward. It has done everything I need, and has had zero downtime due
to the configuration, and more due to my idiotic way of handling
airflow inside the server case.
Joshua Partogi wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> What is the best architecture in terms of performance for Rails. Is
> lighttpd + mongrel the most recommended deployment architecture for
> Rails?
[...]

I think most people are either using Passenger (my current choice) or
one of the Thin-based solutions.  JRuby inside a Java servlet container
might be worth looking at too; I've never gone that route, but JRuby is
supposed to be very fast.  OTOH, Java servlet containers can be a pain.

Best,
--
Marnen Laibow-Koser
marnen@marnen.org