Forum: wxRuby wxFormBuilder Event Question

9e6d05909dc733af570faadce1392e67?d=identicon&s=25 Michael Satterwhite (msatterwhite)
on 2009-03-16 20:26
I'm learning these tools right now, and I have a question regarding
events.

In wxFormBuilder, there is the facility to add events to an object. When
I look at the generated .xrc, however, I don't see any reference to that
event. What's the purpose of specifying an event here if it isn't saved
to the .xrc?
Michael Satterwhite wrote:
> I'm learning these tools right now, and I have a question regarding
> events.
>
> In wxFormBuilder, there is the facility to add events to an object. When
> I look at the generated .xrc, however, I don't see any reference to that
> event. What's the purpose of specifying an event here if it isn't saved
> to the .xrc?

I haven't used wxFormBuilder, but generally, wx designers (like
FormBuilder, DialogBlocks) save (just) layout to XRC. XRC as an XML
format describes how a window/frame/dialog is composed, but nothing
about how it interacts. They then can use their own custom format to
save data beyond what XRC permits - eg events. But AFAIK there is no
standard for this, so although it could be useful in Ruby, it's not at
the moment.

3396e4a3df8a840faec520af8555a400?d=identicon&s=25 Mario Steele (Guest)
On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 5:47 PM, Alex Fenton <alex@pressure.to> wrote:

To expand on this further, especially since I'm the one who recommends
wxFormBuilder, the event "attachment" that you see in the editor, is
only
useful when generating C++ Source code that will be compiled later.  It
does
absolutely nothing for attaching events to function names in the XRC
file
itself.