Forum: Ruby on Rails Routing to different pages with Ajax login

F677fa685a2cfe8aff31f161062db3d3?d=identicon&s=25 David (Guest)
I have a situation where I need my ajaxed login popup to route to a
different page than the default route.  Specifically this situation is
if they are trying to message a user and are not signed in, I want to
show the login, and then route them to the profile that they were
viewing and not make them have to find it again.  The way I was
thinking about doing it is to use a partial to add a hidden field that
would contain the id of the user that is being viewed and use this id
to render that profile instead of routing to the logged in users
profile.

The thing is that the partial is going to look the same as the regular
which is not good DRY policy, but I dont know how else to get the user
id for the hidden field into the login popup.  Something like:

page.replace_html "login", :partial => 'layouts/
login_for_diff_route', :locals => {:profile_id => @profile_id}

I cant really think of any other way to do it.  Looking for any
suggestions/advice/insights.  Thanks.
872535e214a9e3a98889bd8d069f0294?d=identicon&s=25 "Wolas!" (Guest)
I would store it in the session.

session[:return_to] = url_for(profile_path(current_profile))
Dfbae8089cf33ab37df620faf5e5bf44?d=identicon&s=25 saideep annadatha (Guest)

 I think you are looking for something like this:

By using the filters to check if the user is logged in or not and
showing
him the login partial. Now in the controller, if the user is
successfully
logged in try calling a method similar to the following:

       redirect_back_or_default('/')

    def redirect_back_or_default(default)
      session[:return_to] ? redirect_to_url(session[:return_to]) :
redirect_to(default)
      session[:return_to] = nil
    end

The above is extracted from the restful_authentication plugin.
There the url is getting stored in the session[:return_to] where the
user is
redirected once authenticated.

Please correct me if wrong.

--
Thank You,
Saideep Annadatha

    respond_to do |format|
          format.js do
            render :update do |page|
              page.redirect_back_or_default(user_path
(logged_in_user))     #redirect_to user_path(logged_in_user) works

I get an error saying redirect_back_or_default is not defined.  I have
defined this within my LoginSystem module and have included this in
the application file so it should be able to find it.  Is there
anything special I need to do to use it with RJS?

On Mar 16, 11:04 pm, saideep annadatha <saideep.annada...@azri.biz>
On Mar 18, 8:51 pm, Dave L <dly...@gmail.com> wrote:
>           end
>     end
>
> I get an error saying redirect_back_or_default is not defined.  I have
> defined this within my LoginSystem module and have included this in
> the application file so it should be able to find it.  Is there
> anything special I need to do to use it with RJS?

You'd have to define it on the javascript generator object that gets
yielded to you. You're better off doing

if ...
  page.redirect_to ...
else
  page.redirect_to ...
end
F677fa685a2cfe8aff31f161062db3d3?d=identicon&s=25 Dave L (Guest)
Okay, thats what I was going to do in the beginning, but the problem
is how to define the variable for that if else statement.  This is for
a login, so for a certain page I was thinking about inserting a
partial into the login popup form that would contain a hidden field of
that id of the user that is being viewed.  Then, in my authenticate
action, I would check if there was a value in this field and if so,
route to the users profiles whose id was in the hidden field and if
there is no value, then just route to their profile.  Does this work?
Or is there a better way?

I also thought about using sessions to store the user id of the user
who is being viewed, but i would have to clear this session if the
popup was closed and not submitted, and im just not sure how to do
that.

Thanks for your help.

On Mar 18, 3:07 pm, Frederick Cheung <frederick.che...@gmail.com>
On Mar 18, 10:29 pm, Dave L <dly...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Okay, thats what I was going to do in the beginning, but the problem
> is how to define the variable for that if else statement.  This is for
> a login, so for a certain page I was thinking about inserting a
> partial into the login popup form that would contain a hidden field of
> that id of the user that is being viewed.  Then, in my authenticate
> action, I would check if there was a value in this field and if so,
> route to the users profiles whose id was in the hidden field and if
> there is no value, then just route to their profile.  Does this work?
> Or is there a better way?

Don't see why it wouldn't work.

Fred
F677fa685a2cfe8aff31f161062db3d3?d=identicon&s=25 Dave L (Guest)
When I try to add the form element in a partial:

<%= f.hidden_field :profile_id, :value => profile_id %>

I get an error that f is unknown.  Is there a way to add form elements
with a partial?

On Mar 18, 4:10 pm, Frederick Cheung <frederick.che...@gmail.com>