Forum: GNU Radio GNU Radio 1.3.1 and SMP

C01923474e5c07a74b6d32bfbb512c16?d=identicon&s=25 Hew How Chee (Guest)

Quite some time ago, there are multi core scheduler testing branch for
GNU Radio.

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/discuss-gnuradio...

Can I do the same with GNU Radio release 3.1.3 and follow the same
instructions mentioned in that mail ? I have actually done that but it
does not seem to distribute the processing among the core on the Intel
Atom 330 motherboard.

Regards,
Hew
E16be4811324adf8f26be26d77e9d29d?d=identicon&s=25 Bob McGwier (Guest)
Hew How Chee wrote:

Can you actually see the four threads (two hyperthread cores) in the
linux listing (/proc/cpuinfo).  Do you have SMP and HT enabled in the
BIOS?

Bob
C01923474e5c07a74b6d32bfbb512c16?d=identicon&s=25 Hew How Chee (Guest)
Hi Bob,

cat /proc/cpuinfo give 4 processors.

Did more test on running the same piece of code, which is basically a
modified fm receiver. Usually I see nearly 100% loading on 1 of the 4
processors . But sometimes the load is spread on other processor (e.g.
100% load become 50% load on processor1 and 50% on proccessor2). Is this
random behaviour expected ? I was hoping that I can assign gr block to a
processor  specifically so that the load is really well distributed.
Forgive me if this question is obvious as I did not track gnuradio
progress as frequently as I would like to.

Hew
On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 03:25:28AM -0700, Hew How Chee wrote:
> I can assign gr block to a processor specifically so that the load
> is really well distributed. Forgive me if this question is obvious
> as I did not track gnuradio progress as frequently as I would like
> to.
>
> Hew

Hew,

The "thread-per-block" scheduler has been in the trunk for about 6 or
9 months and is enabled by default.  It was not included in the 3.1.3
release.  It will be in the 3.2 release.

With the thread-per-block scheduler, all SMP/SMT/multicore resources
are automatically used.  There is no need (or advantage) in assigning
blocks to particular cores.

Eric
C01923474e5c07a74b6d32bfbb512c16?d=identicon&s=25 Hew How Chee (Guest)
Hi Eric,

Thanks for the info. Will be looking forward to release 3.2.

Best regards,
Hew