Forum: Ruby on Rails Which is the best way to do this? (about save time data)

71e53b54803415f87ef1b898baf8f3ca?d=identicon&s=25 John Smith (terry_wolf)
on 2009-03-12 20:39
I want to save the time that is needed to complete a task I would like
to save hours and minutes, after filling a form. So I need a select tag,
but I am not able to use select_time the way way I want. By default, it
gives me the present time, and I would like to have two selects that
begin with '00'.
After filling the gap, shoud I save this like a timestamp?

So I would like to know what is the best to use in the form and how to
save it. I'll appreciate any help.
09b4d64ca074d04a272a713eb10319eb?d=identicon&s=25 Charles Johnson (Guest)
On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 2:39 PM, John Smith <
rails-mailing-list@andreas-s.net> wrote:

> I want to save the time that is needed to complete a task I would like
> to save hours and minutes, after filling a form. So I need a select tag,
> but I am not able to use select_time the way way I want. By default, it
> gives me the present time, and I would like to have two selects that
> begin with '00'.
> After filling the gap, shoud I save this like a timestamp?
>
> So I would like to know what is the best to use in the form and how to
> save it. I'll appreciate any help.

Have you looked at select_hour and select_minute, specifically
select_hour(0) and select_minute(0)?

How it gets depends on what data you need. Do you know the date the task
was
started? Do you need to know the date the task was completed? Do you
just
need to know that for task "A" it was worked on for 3 hours and 10
minutes
(say)?

Cheers--

Charles
71e53b54803415f87ef1b898baf8f3ca?d=identicon&s=25 John Smith (terry_wolf)
on 2009-03-13 14:00
I think that select_hour(0) and select_minute(0) it's what I need. I
just want to save the time it's needed to complete a task, so I only
need to select and hour and minutes. How should I save this? Like a
string or like a datetime? I think it would b better datetime, because I
want to search by this time. But then I think I should need to create a
datetable using two fields, select_hour and select_minute. Is it
correct?
09b4d64ca074d04a272a713eb10319eb?d=identicon&s=25 Charles Johnson (Guest)
On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 8:00 AM, John Smith <
rails-mailing-list@andreas-s.net> wrote:

> I think that select_hour(0) and select_minute(0) it's what I need. I
> just want to save the time it's needed to complete a task, so I only
> need to select and hour and minutes. How should I save this? Like a
> string or like a datetime? I think it would b better datetime, because I
> want to search by this time. But then I think I should need to create a
> datetable using two fields, select_hour and select_minute. Is it
> correct?
> --

As I said, this depends on what you are wanting to record. For me, if I
were
interested in something like "On this date I worked on  task-1 for 3
hours
and 37 minutes,  and task-2 for 2 hours and 7 minutes" I would be
recording
a date, and then I would convert "hours" and "minutes" to just minutes
(3
hours and 37 minutes = 217 minutes) and save the date and the total
minutes.
All of the Date, DateTime, and Time objects in ruby are related to a
calendar, i.e., the want a date and a specific time, not a date and a
duration, which seems to me what you are after. Make sense?

Cheers--

Charles
71e53b54803415f87ef1b898baf8f3ca?d=identicon&s=25 John Smith (terry_wolf)
on 2009-03-13 17:27
Thanks for your help, Charles. I appreciate it.

What I want is the duration needed to complete a specific task. So when
I have a lot of tasks, I will be able to search tasks width its
durations is bigger that 2 hours and 10 minutes, for example. I don't
care about days, monts of yearsM I only need the duration.
So, should I use a Datetime in order to make search easy?

Again, thanks a lot.

Charles Johnson wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 8:00 AM, John Smith <
> rails-mailing-list@andreas-s.net> wrote:
>

>> I think that select_hour(0) and select_minute(0) it's what I need. I
>> just want to save the time it's needed to complete a task, so I only
>> need to select and hour and minutes. How should I save this? Like a
>> string or like a datetime? I think it would b better datetime, because I
>> want to search by this time. But then I think I should need to create a
>> datetable using two fields, select_hour and select_minute. Is it
>> correct?
>> --
>>
> As I said, this depends on what you are wanting to record. For me, if I
> were
> interested in something like "On this date I worked on  task-1 for 3
> hours
> and 37 minutes,  and task-2 for 2 hours and 7 minutes" I would be
> recording
> a date, and then I would convert "hours" and "minutes" to just minutes
> (3
> hours and 37 minutes = 217 minutes) and save the date and the total
> minutes.
> All of the Date, DateTime, and Time objects in ruby are related to a
> calendar, i.e., the want a date and a specific time, not a date and a
> duration, which seems to me what you are after. Make sense?
>
> Cheers--
>
> Charles
09b4d64ca074d04a272a713eb10319eb?d=identicon&s=25 Charles Johnson (Guest)
On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 11:27 AM, John Smith <
rails-mailing-list@andreas-s.net> wrote:

Because you want a duration rather than a specific time, I would convert
hours and minutes to pure minutes and save that integer. That would make
the
searching easy and fast: @tasks = Task.find(:all, :order => :start_date,
:conditions => 'duration >= 190') or some such.

Cheers--

Charles