Forum: Ruby Newbie needs advice to startoff Ruby!

D40b7abbf39579405a336c253a6bbab5?d=identicon&s=25 Jay (Guest)

Hello,

I have just started learning ruby through various tutorials on the
internet. But i would like get more valuble information regarding the
best books available , online tutorials , simple and complete reference.

Thanks
Jay
Jay wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have just started learning ruby through various tutorials on the
> internet. But i would like get more valuble information regarding the
> best books available , online tutorials , simple and complete reference.
>
> Thanks
> Jay

Personally I recommend to buy the hardcopy version of the pickaxe.

Even after you finished it, the reference can be very nice. Lots of fun
bits to discover.

However, to "learn" ruby, I advise you to start with small ruby scripts
and work on that to bigger projects. There really is no alternative IMHO
and also no better way in ruby, than just start writing ruby scripts.
The more ruby you use, the better you become. I found ruby to go very
close to my thinking.
33e3e84859cbb6d980fdb4901314bcab?d=identicon&s=25 Shree Jay (shree)
Get all ruby/rails books here (free) http://www.itstudy8.org/ruby.asp
B3881a28fe402dd2d1de44717486cae8?d=identicon&s=25 Michael Kohl (Guest)
Hi!

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 2:54 PM, Jay <jay9978@rediffmail.com> wrote:
> I have just started learning ruby through various tutorials on the internet. But i would
like get more valuble information regarding the best books available , online tutorials ,
simple and complete reference.

I would definitely recommend the core Ruby course at RubyLearnig if
you are just starting out. Incidentally we have one starting this
Friday:

http://www.rubylearning.org/class/

The course lasts for 8 weeks, you can do it at your own pace, there's
course materials, exercises, active forums etc.

Michael
75af7ee3bb02d7280a51e50e25d5e8a1?d=identicon&s=25 Paul Archer (Guest)
Very uncool, man. There are people who depend on selling the books they
worked hard to write and publish, and you're undermining their income.
That goes double for small publishers like Pragmatic Programmers, who
apparently have pretty much their whole library of publications on that
site.

Not to mention that this list (and I'm sure the entire Ruby community)
would rather *not* be known for blatant copyright violation.

Paul
312bab66708aab09c40c8a4176211e5b?d=identicon&s=25 Udayanga Wickramasinghe (usw)
I would suggest "The Ruby Programming Language by David Flanagan;
Yukihiro
Matsumoto [O'Reilly]" .It is a nice book for fast track learning if you
have
been already exposed to some programming experience (of course not in
ruby..) and design concepts..provide  most of the details short n
sweet..

-Udayanga
8a7a74182e801b31248d51cf8d94f2d5?d=identicon&s=25 rick_2047 (Guest)
If the topic of books have been brought up i would like someone to
recommend a book on test driven programming. Thanks in advance.

On Mar 12, 10:44 pm, usw wickramasinghe <mastershield2...@gmail.com>
rick_2047 wrote:

> If the topic of books have been brought up i would like someone to
> recommend a book on test driven programming. Thanks in advance.

/TDD by example/ by Kent Beck
/TDD by something/ by Dave Astels
/The RSpec Book/ by GitHub

My TDD links: http://www.zeroplayer.com/

/Agile Web Development in Rails/ by the Daves
On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 10:27 PM, Phlip <phlip2005@gmail.com> wrote:
> rick_2047 wrote:
>
>> If the topic of books have been brought up i would like someone to
>> recommend a book on test driven programming. Thanks in advance.
>
> /TDD by example/ by Kent Beck

Got this one right

> /TDD by something/ by Dave Astels

TDD: A Practical Guide by Dave Astels

> /The RSpec Book/ by GitHub

We've got 6 authors on The RSpec Book, but GitHub is not one of them,
last I checked.

http://www.pragprog.com/titles/achbd/the-rspec-book

Cheers,
David
David Chelimsky wrote:

>> /The RSpec Book/ by GitHub
>
> We've got 6 authors on The RSpec Book, but GitHub is not one of them,
> last I checked.

Props to all of them, yet at least I did not credit /Effective C++/,
like I did
a few years ago, to Eddie Van Halen...

Scott Meyers: http://www.aristeia.com/images/sdm-small.jpg

EVH:

http://eddievanhalenfans.com/files/2008/08/eddie-v...

Now, has anyone ever, like, seen them both together at the same time?
(-;