Forum: RSpec [cucumber] open source projects with cucumber features

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
A4911c2072d2c07e17d79c47559b4767?d=identicon&s=25 Balint Erdi (balint)
on 2009-03-11 20:03
Hi,

I was looking for some "real-world" cucumber features (mainly on github)
to see how more complex features are built but I have not really found
any. Could you point me to some?

Thank you,
Balint
F86901feca747abbb5c6c020362ef2e7?d=identicon&s=25 Zach Dennis (zdennis)
on 2009-03-11 20:47
(Received via mailing list)
On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 3:03 PM, Balint Erdi <lists@ruby-forum.com>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was looking for some "real-world" cucumber features (mainly on github)
> to see how more complex features are built but I have not really found
> any. Could you point me to some?

For seeing different ways to utilize scenarios and step definitions I
would look at Cucumber and RSpec. They both have feature files and
have good examples of different ways to utilize scenarios and step
definitions:

  http://github.com/aslakhellesoy/cucumber
  http://github.com/dchelimsky/rspec


--
Zach Dennis
http://www.continuousthinking.com
http://www.mutuallyhuman.com
85d99e7678d8720f6e00ab0f60fe6ea9?d=identicon&s=25 Andrew Premdas (Guest)
on 2009-03-11 22:18
(Received via mailing list)
You could have a look at fbrp on github, which has rewritten features
for
RestfulAuthentication. Hopefully its a reasonably gentle introduction
and at
least a bit real world.


2009/3/11 Balint Erdi <lists@ruby-forum.com>
D4d28bd014f9e7324bad99dcc3b0d390?d=identicon&s=25 Rich Morin (Guest)
on 2009-03-11 22:40
(Received via mailing list)
At 20:03 +0100 3/11/09, Balint Erdi wrote:
> I was looking for some "real-world" cucumber features (mainly
> on github) to see how more complex features are built but I
> have not really found any.  Could you point me to some?

I asked about this on #github.  Lenary helped out massively.

Procedure:

  Go to http://github.com/search
  Search "Code" using "Ruby" for "require cucumber"

http://github.com/search?type=Code&language=rb
  &q=require+cucumber&repo=&langOverride=&x=0&y=0

Very cool...

-r
--
http://www.cfcl.com/rdm            Rich Morin
http://www.cfcl.com/rdm/resume     rdm@cfcl.com
http://www.cfcl.com/rdm/weblog     +1 650-873-7841

Technical editing and writing, programming, and web development
E7d6cc5f903d5b730cbe527b3e0e209a?d=identicon&s=25 Oliver Barnes (Guest)
on 2009-03-11 23:39
(Received via mailing list)
+1
I'm also looking for examples... I've seen several
authentication-related ones, but very few examples of features that
users would actually care a lot about, and that would help in learning
outside-in development...

2009/3/11 Andrew Premdas <apremdas@gmail.com>:
Cdf378de2284d8acf137122e541caa28?d=identicon&s=25 Matt Wynne (mattwynne)
on 2009-03-12 04:00
(Received via mailing list)
On 11 Mar 2009, at 19:46, Zach Dennis wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 3:03 PM, Balint Erdi <lists@ruby-forum.com>
> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was looking for some "real-world" cucumber features (mainly on
>> github)
>> to see how more complex features are built but I have not really
>> found
>> any. Could you point me to some?

What kind of app are you looking to build? Website? GUI? Console?

Matt Wynne
http://blog.mattwynne.net
http://www.songkick.com
E7d6cc5f903d5b730cbe527b3e0e209a?d=identicon&s=25 Oliver Barnes (Guest)
on 2009-03-13 16:35
(Received via mailing list)
I'm looking for feature examples for web apps, I imagine Balint is as
well?

2009/3/11 Matt Wynne <matt@mattwynne.net>:
0be0e4aa42aacd9a8a95c792de273ca7?d=identicon&s=25 Aslak Hellesøy (aslakhellesoy)
on 2009-03-13 17:14
(Received via mailing list)
On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 3:22 PM, Oliver Barnes
<oli.azevedo.barnes@gmail.com
> wrote:

> I'm looking for feature examples for web apps, I imagine Balint is as well?
>

What kind of webapp? Merb? JEE? Rails? Sinatra? ASP.NET? PHP? other?

Aslak
E7d6cc5f903d5b730cbe527b3e0e209a?d=identicon&s=25 Oliver Barnes (Guest)
on 2009-03-13 19:35
(Received via mailing list)
Rails, but any other would be helpful as well, really.

Just a repo of varied real-world cucumber feature examples already
would help a lot, even without the feature steps or an actual
developed app. I've been mining samples from pasties, tutorials and
from github, but have found only a few scattered (and several
theoretical), and have not found a more evolved and cohesive set.

I'm working on a real project using cucumber right now, and though I
think I understand the principles shown on the rspec book and the
cucumber wiki, as well as on the discussions here, at times I've
gotten stuck in writing features with my client, without patterns to
draw from.

2009/3/13 aslak hellesoy <aslak.hellesoy@gmail.com>:
0be0e4aa42aacd9a8a95c792de273ca7?d=identicon&s=25 Aslak Hellesøy (aslakhellesoy)
on 2009-03-13 20:26
(Received via mailing list)
On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 7:13 PM, Oliver Barnes
<oli.azevedo.barnes@gmail.com
> wrote:

> Rails, but any other would be helpful as well, really.
>
> Just a repo of varied real-world cucumber feature examples already
> would help a lot, even without the feature steps or an actual
> developed app. I've been mining samples from pasties, tutorials and
> from github, but have found only a few scattered (and several
> theoretical), and have not found a more evolved and cohesive set.
>

Here is an application some of my colleagues have developed:
http://github.com/bekkopen/kompetansesok/tree/master

It's in Norwegian, and not the simplest app in the world (not the most
complex either). The live version is here:
http://kompetansesok.demo.bekk.no/

Hopefully someone with an English app can share....
Cdf378de2284d8acf137122e541caa28?d=identicon&s=25 Matt Wynne (mattwynne)
on 2009-03-14 16:11
(Received via mailing list)
On 13 Mar 2009, at 18:13, Oliver Barnes wrote:

> cucumber wiki, as well as on the discussions here, at times I've
> gotten stuck in writing features with my client, without patterns to
> draw from.

I think this is a problem, because most of the apps people are writing
with Cucumber are proprietary, so there aren't any good examples in
the public domain.

Hopefully once the code stabilizes for 0.2 we can start building the
Cucumber web GUI as a shining example of how we like to do this.

Matt Wynne
http://blog.mattwynne.net
http://www.songkick.com
A4911c2072d2c07e17d79c47559b4767?d=identicon&s=25 Balint Erdi (balint)
on 2009-03-14 19:52
Yes, I am writing a Rails app. Anyway, I have got over the initial
"writer's block" thanks to a very insightful thread on this forum
(http://www.mail-archive.com/rspec-users@rubyforge....)
and your valuable help. Thank you all!

Balint

Matt Wynne wrote:
> On 11 Mar 2009, at 19:46, Zach Dennis wrote:
>
e?
>
> What kind of app are you looking to build? Website? GUI? Console?
>
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.