Forum: Ruby on Rails unit test model validations

18a4cfd669d998263f9824ed5efeab41?d=identicon&s=25 Michael Rigart (damick)

since I want to improve my Rails skills, I decided to start using the
Rails testing framework. But I find it a bit hard to start testing model
validations. Some of my tests don't pass, but I know they must, since I
have added the validation in the model.

Here is an example:

The migration:

    create_table :clients do |t|
      t.string  'name',             :null => false
      t.string  'address',          :null => false
      t.string  'zip',              :null => false
      t.string  'city',             :null => false
      t.string  'country',          :null => false
      t.string  'phone',            :null => true
      t.string  'fax',              :null => true
      t.string  'email',            :null => false
      t.integer 'status',           :null => false
      t.boolean 'is_root',          :null => false, :default => false
      t.boolean 'access_crm',       :null => false, :default => false
      t.boolean 'access_project',   :null => false, :default => false
      t.boolean 'access_dmail',     :null => false, :default => false
      t.boolean 'access_financial', :null => false, :default => false
      t.timestamps
    end
Extension in test_helper.rb:

  def assert_presence_required(object, field)
      # Test that the initial object is valid
      assert object.valid?

      # Test that it becomes invalid by removing the field
      temp = object.send(field)
      object.send("#{field}=", nil)
      assert object.valid?
      assert(object.errors.invalid?(field), "#{field} is required")

      # Make object valid again
      object.send("#{field}=", temp)
    end

    def assert_required_length(object, field, minlength, maxlength)
        dup_object = object.clone

        if(minlength)
          # Invalid at minlength-1
          dup_object.send("#{field}=", "a"*(minlength-1))
          assert dup_object.valid?
          assert(dup_object.errors.invalid?(field), "#{field} has a
minimum length of #{minlength} character(s)")

          # Valid at minlength
          dup_object.send("#{field}=", "a"*minlength)
          assert dup_object.valid?

          # Valid at minlength+1
          dup_object.send("#{field}=", "a"*(minlength+1))
          assert dup_object.valid?
        end

        if(maxlength)
          # Valid at maxlength-1
          dup_object.send("#{field}=", "a"*(maxlength-1))
          assert dup_object.valid?

          # Valid at maxlength
          dup_object.send("#{field}=", "a"*maxlength)
          assert dup_object.valid?

          # Invalid at maxlength+1
          dup_object.send("#{field}=", "a"*(maxlength+1))
          assert dup_object.valid?
          assert(dup_object.errors.invalid?(field), "#{field} has a
maximum length of #{maxlength} character(s)")

The unit test:

  def setup
    @netronix = clients(:netronix)
  end

  def test_validates_presence_of
    assert_presence_required(@netronix, :name)
    assert_presence_required(@netronix, :address)
    assert_presence_required(@netronix, :zip)
    assert_presence_required(@netronix, :city)
    assert_presence_required(@netronix, :country)
    assert_presence_required(@netronix, :email)
    assert_presence_required(@netronix, :status)
    assert_presence_required(@netronix, :is_root)
    assert_presence_required(@netronix, :access_crm)
    assert_presence_required(@netronix, :access_project)
    assert_presence_required(@netronix, :access_dmail)
    assert_presence_required(@netronix, :access_financial)
  end

  def test_validates_length_of
    assert_required_length(@netronix, :name, false, 255)
    assert_required_length(@netronix, :address, false, 255)
    assert_required_length(@netronix, :zip, false, 255)
    assert_required_length(@netronix, :city, false, 255)
    assert_required_length(@netronix, :country, false, 255)
    assert_required_length(@netronix, :email, false, 255)
  end

  def test_validates_format_of
    regex = /^[A-Z0-9._%-]+@([A-Z0-9-]+\.)+[A-Z]{2,4}$/i
    assert_match(regex, @netronix.email)
    tmp = @netronix.email
    @netronix.email = "michael.rigart@gmail.com"
    assert_match(regex, @netronix.email)
    @netronix.email = "michael.adrien.rigart@gmail.curious"
    assert_match(regex, @netronix.email)
    @netronix.email = "michael_rigart@gmail.be"
    assert_match(regex, @netronix.email)
    @netronix.email = tmp
  end

  def test_validates_uniqueness_of
    user = Client.new(:name => @netronix.name)
    user.valid?
    assert_not_nil user.errors.on(:name)

    user = Client.new(:email => @netronix.email)
    user.valid?
    assert_not_nil user.errors.on(:email)

  end

I know there are some things wrong with my test, but I don't know what.
The first thing wrong is the validate_length_of helper. For some reason,
it throws a failure even when the validation is filled in the model:

  3) Failure:
test_validates_presence_of(ClientTest)
    [/test/test_helper.rb:45:in `assert_presence_required'
     /test/unit/client_test.rb:10:in `test_validates_presence_of']:
<false> is not true.

Model:
  validates_presence_of :name

Second problem is the check of the required length. Also this test
fails:

  2) Failure:
test_validates_length_of(ClientTest)
    [/test/test_helper.rb:81:in `assert_required_length'
     /test/unit/client_test.rb:25:in `test_validates_length_of']:
<false> is not true.

Model:
  validates_length_of :name,  :maximum => 255

then the email format is completely wrong. It test my regex against a
string, but doesn't realy validate my model validations. same story with
the uniqueness, doesn't work, and how do you test against a uniqueness
over 2 fields?

I have searched the net on more info and also checked out the new rails
guids, but they all cover just the basics and not don't realy go into
how to test you model validations.

I hope their is an expert around here who can help me furter on how to
test my model validations.

Thank you in advance
Michael Rigart wrote:

>       t.boolean 'access_crm',       :null => false, :default => false
>       t.boolean 'access_project',   :null => false, :default => false
>       t.boolean 'access_dmail',     :null => false, :default => false
>       t.boolean 'access_financial', :null => false, :default => false

Access looks like a separate table with a type.

How about, instead of retrofitting tests to existing features, you
test-first
the existence and behavior of this new type? Then test-first the
database
migration that copies your production data into it...
18a4cfd669d998263f9824ed5efeab41?d=identicon&s=25 Michael Rigart (damick)
on 2009-03-11 12:09
Hi Philip

wel I started out by trying to create my tests first, but I just got
stuck so I decided to write the model validations.

Thats my biggest problem at the moment, I have never developed through
TDD.
And the main problem isn't realy whether to develop or test first, but
how to build my tests.

The logic of my tests has to be wrong, becouse eather way, they fail.

Any help is welcome.
I suggest starting with a very simple test and get that working first.
Use
the debugger to find out what is going wrong if you cannot get it to
behave
correctly.

Colin Law wrote:

> I suggest starting with a very simple test and get that working first.
> Use the debugger to find out what is going wrong if you cannot get it to
> behave correctly.

Further, if you cannot _briefly_ get the test working, comment it out
and write
a simpler test, maybe on another feature.

Test the models first, for example.

The goal here is breadth-first, not depth first. The more tests you
write, the
more "muscle memory" you develop, and the easier new tests get. You
might come
back to this validation problem, for example, and just knock it out
easily...
6ef8cb7cd7cd58077f0b57e4fa49a969?d=identicon&s=25 Brian Hogan (Guest)
Michael:

In October, I gave a quick intro to Rails with test-driven development
at a local code camp.  I distributed a PDF to the group that walks a
newcomer through test-first development. Perhaps it would help you get
a handle on how to get started.

This link contains a link to the PDF as well as a link to the finished
project on github.

http://www.napcsweb.com/blog/index.php?s=code+camp...

Hope it helps. If you have questions, feel free to hit me up directly :)

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 6:09 AM, Michael Rigart
18a4cfd669d998263f9824ed5efeab41?d=identicon&s=25 Michael Rigart (damick)
on 2009-03-12 09:09
Hi guys.

I've been working on my skills the last couple of days. I have shown
some improvements but as Colin stated, it is not something that you
develop over night. It takes time and practice. But I notice that I'm
making progress (maybe less then I expected, but still :) ).

Brien, thanks for the input. I'm glad to see all the good work people
make with writing information for newcomers.
18a4cfd669d998263f9824ed5efeab41?d=identicon&s=25 Michael Rigart (damick)
on 2009-03-12 09:14
Hi, (sorry for the double post).

I've been working on some standard methods to test model validations.

At this point, I can test on these validations:

* validates_presence_of
* validates_length_of
* validates_format_of
* validates_numericality_of

But how do you test on the rest of validations if there is a way:

* validates_uniqueness_of
* validates_confirmation_of
* validates_acceptance_of
* validates_associated
* validates_exclusion_of
* validates_inclusion_of
* validates_each
18a4cfd669d998263f9824ed5efeab41?d=identicon&s=25 Michael Rigart (damick)

How do you validate booleans? Normally, I validate them through

  validates_inclusion_of :is_root, :in => [false, true]

But when I test the :is_root attribute against a string, it passes. Here
are some examples:

passes my test => [0, 1, true, false] (they should pass right?)
don't pass => [nil, '', ' '] (they shouldn't pass, so test is still ok)

passes my test => ['this is not valid' ,-1, 1.30 ,2, 10], but they
shouldn't. Am I overlooking something, or is there still a bug in Rails
2.3 RC2?