Forum: Ferret Are document boost and sort incompatible?

7b74ccf93dde7dd2ac5d2980d14fdc7b?d=identicon&s=25 Paul Lynch (plynchnlm)
on 2009-03-10 18:28
I am using document boosting (following Jens' suggestion here:
http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/84358) but am also trying to sort the
returned results, so I was using the :sort option.  In my testing, using
a wildcard search, it appears that using the :sort option causes Ferret
to ignore document boosts and just return the first N hits it finds by
looking alphabetically.  Is that the expected behavior?  If I want the N
most relevant documents, do I need to sort them myself after getting
them from Ferret?

Thanks,
  --Paul
C9dd93aa135988cabf9183d3210665ca?d=identicon&s=25 Jens Krämer (Guest)
Hi Paul,

I think your assumption is correct - Ferret by default sorts by score,
and by specifying an alternative sorting you replace that default
sorting with something else.

Cheers,
Jens

On 10.03.2009, at 18:28, Paul Lynch wrote:

> them from Ferret?
>
> Thanks,
>  --Paul
> --

Jens Krämer
webit! Gesellschaft für neue Medien mbH
Schnorrstraße 76 | 01069 Dresden
Telefon +49351467660 | Telefax +493514676666
kraemer@webit.de | www.webit.de

Amtsgericht Dresden | HRB 15422
GF Sven Haubold