Forum: Ruby Good Ruby Books in Japanese?

D71284e011fc1db85804d55515f7d5b8?d=identicon&s=25 Sven C. Koehler (Guest)
Hello,

I have been using Ruby for seven years now, and started to learn
Japanese
in the last months--so I am wondering whether there's a good recent book
on Ruby in Japanese--I figure this might be the fastest way to learn to
read. :-)

Best wishes,

Sven
Bcb91126b447bd3f8f0509cbe6adcd5b?d=identicon&s=25 Matt Falkenhagen (Guest)
Sven C. Koehler wrote:

The Japanese translation of the O'Reilly book _The Ruby Programming
Language_ was just published in January 2009.

You might also try online resources like http://www.ruby-lang.org/ja/.
In particular, the mailing lists
(http://www.ruby-lang.org/ja/community/mailing-lists/) could be
interesting.
On Mar 9, 2009, at 12:58 , Sven C. Koehler wrote:

> I have been using Ruby for seven years now, and started to learn
> Japanese
> in the last months--so I am wondering whether there's a good recent
> book
> on Ruby in Japanese--I figure this might be the fastest way to learn
> read. :-)

I have a LOT of japanese ruby books. They publish smaller cheaper
books so there is a lot more of them. Here is a quick dump of my ruby
shelf, including japanese and english books (hrm... ASINs aren't
easily available, sorry. lemme know if you want those):

Ediger, Brad. Advanced Rails. O'Reilly Media, Inc., 2008.

Ediger, Brad. Advanced Rails. O'Reilly Media, Inc., 2008.

Fowler, Chad. Rails Recipes. Pragmatic Bookshelf, 2006.

Thomas, Dave, and Andrew Hunt. Programming Ruby: A Pragmatic
Programmer's Guide. Addison-Wesley Professional, 2000.

Thomas, Dave, Chad Fowler, and Andy Hunt. Programming Ruby: The
Pragmatic Programmers' Guide, Second Edition. 2nd ed. Pragmatic
Bookshelf, 2004.

Thomas, Dave, Chad Fowler, and Andy Hunt. Programming Ruby: The
Pragmatic Programmers' Guide, Second Edition. 2nd ed. Pragmatic
Bookshelf, 2004.

Thomas, Dave, David Hansson, Leon Breedt, Mike Clark, Thomas Fuchs,
and Andrea Schwarz. Agile Web Development with Rails: A Pragmatic
Guide. Pragmatic Bookshelf, 2005.

Thomas, Dave, David Hansson, Leon Breedt, Mike Clark, Thomas Fuchs,
and Andrea Schwarz. Agile Web Development with Rails: A Pragmatic
Guide. Pragmatic Bookshelf, 2005.

Flanagan, David, and Yukihiro Matsumoto. The Ruby Programming
Language. O'Reilly Media, Inc., 2008.

Fulton, Hal. The Ruby Way. Sams, 2001.

Fulton, Hal. The Ruby Way. Sams, 2001.

Fulton, Hal. The Ruby Way. Sams, 2001.

Fulton, Hal. The Ruby Way, Second Edition. 2nd ed. Addison-Wesley
Professional, 2006.

Slagell, Mark. Sams Teach Yourself Ruby in 21 Days. Sams, 2002.

Lenz, Patrick. Build Your Own Ruby on Rails Web Applications.
SitePoint, 2007.

Rubyを256倍使う会. Rubyを256+倍使うための本 紅玉制覇
編. アスキー, 2001.

Matsumoto, Yukihiro. Ruby In A Nutshell. O'Reilly Media, Inc., 2001.

ゆきひろ, まつもと, and 石塚 圭樹. オブジェクト指向
スクリプト言語 Ruby. アスキー, 1999.

あきら, やまだ, 鵜飼 文敏, and ハル フルトン. The Ruby
Way―Ruby道への招待. 翔泳社, 2002.

秀利, 永井. Rubyを256倍使うための本 界道編. アス
キー, 2001.

仁, 竹内. Ruby Magic―Rubyで極める正規表現. オーム社,
2002.

将俊, 関. dRubyによる分散オブジェクトプログラミン
グ. アスキー, 2001.

峰郎, 青木, 後藤 裕蔵, 高橋 征義, and まつもと ゆきひ
ろ. Rubyレシピブック 268の技. ソフトバンククリエイ
ティブ, 2004.
621080472679266b8e9b81aff4800398?d=identicon&s=25 Saji N. Hameed (Guest)
Sven-san!

The new Ruby book by Flanagan and Matsumoto (in Japanese)

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/4873113946?ie=U...

The one on Distributed Ruby

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/4274066096/ref=sib_rdr_dp

From here, you may find links to other Ruby books in Japanese..

nihongo-no benkyo gambatte kudasai!

saji

* Sven C. Koehler <schween@snafu.de> [2009-03-10 04:58:18 +0900]:

--
Saji N. Hameed

APEC Climate Center                  +82 51 668 7470
National Pension Corporation Busan Building 12F
Yeonsan 2-dong, Yeonje-gu, BUSAN 611705      saji@apcc21.net
KOREA
2f4d4f9c35ea851bffb9a9cc2e086365?d=identicon&s=25 Harry Kakueki (Guest)
On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 4:58 AM, Sven C. Koehler <schween@snafu.de>
wrote:

This is not exactly an answer to your question.
But, you may want to take a look at this site to help with reading
(about any topic).

http://www.rikai.com/

Harry
699c00ad35f2755810b4aa5f423d73e2?d=identicon&s=25 Albert Schlef (alby)
on 2009-03-10 05:20
Ryan Davis wrote:
> I have a LOT of japanese ruby books. They publish smaller cheaper
> books so [...]

Are you saying that Japanese books are smaller (in length, I assume)
than others? Why is that?
On Mar 9, 2009, at 21:18 , Albert Schlef wrote:

> Ryan Davis wrote:
>> I have a LOT of japanese ruby books. They publish smaller cheaper
>> books so [...]
>
> Are you saying that Japanese books are smaller (in length, I assume)
> than others? Why is that?

length, height, and depth... they don't seem to do the 900 page
monsters that we do in the US. I'd guess that they're higher quality
too since there is less breadth per book.
F889bf17449ffbf62345d2b2d316a937?d=identicon&s=25 Michal Suchanek (Guest)
2009/3/10 Harry Kakueki <list.push@gmail.com>:
>> Sven
>>

> This is not exactly an answer to your question.
> But, you may want to take a look at this site to help with reading
> (about any topic).
>
> http://www.rikai.com/

That could perhaps help for PDF books if they allow cut&paste. Paper
books without furigana (or what are those tiny letters called)...
eww...

Well, I cannot read that scattered tea. I'm not into divination. But
perhaps you can ;-)

Thanks

Michal
Be30361bb0b0c495e3077db43ad84b56?d=identicon&s=25 Aaron Patterson (Guest)
On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 11:24:25PM +0900, Michal Suchanek wrote:

> That could perhaps help for PDF books if they allow cut&paste. Paper
> books without furigana (or what are those tiny letters called)...

The tiny letters are called Ruby.  Seriously.

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruby_character
2009/3/10 Aaron Patterson <aaron@tenderlovemaking.com>:

>> That could perhaps help for PDF books if they allow cut&paste. Paper
>> books without furigana (or what are those tiny letters called)...
>
> The tiny letters are called Ruby.  Seriously.
>
>  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruby_character

That's one way to call them. However, "ruby" probably means any
pronunciation small print while ふりがな (see my paste-fu ;-) refers
specifically to small print of pronunciation of Japanese Kanji.

The Ruby markup in HTML could be used for any explanation text,
though. Unfortunately, the markup is not well supported in browsers.
Firefox needs a separate plugin for rendering ruby text. I don't know
about other browsers, Firefox is the only reasonably crossplatform
thing resembling a web browser I could find.

Thanks

Michal