Forum: Ruby on Rails development speed boosters

7c86cccf24556c4ebe08085345c53d19?d=identicon&s=25 Roger Muthton (rogermuth)
on 2009-03-09 15:00
anyone know of any good development speed booster plugins or gems? the
larger my app becomes, the slower development time becomes.. getting
painfully slow..
09b4d64ca074d04a272a713eb10319eb?d=identicon&s=25 Charles Johnson (Guest)
On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 9:00 AM, Roger Muthton <
rails-mailing-list@andreas-s.net> wrote:

> anyone know of any good development speed booster plugins or gems? the
> larger my app becomes, the slower development time becomes.. getting
> painfully slow..
> --

Where in the development cycle do you seem to go the slowest? Creating
tests? Writing code against your tests? Unit testing? Testing
controllers?
Hitting the database? Where do you experience a bottleneck, or necks?
Cheers--

Charles
A82ba1167f4d4a8d1de63820e576a87f?d=identicon&s=25 Robby Russell (Guest)
On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 7:00 AM, Roger Muthton
<rails-mailing-list@andreas-s.net> wrote:

> anyone know of any good development speed booster plugins or gems? the
> larger my app becomes, the slower development time becomes.. getting
> painfully slow..

Roger,

I'm not sure if this is still being maintained with the latest version
of Ruby on Rails, but it's worth looking into.

*
http://www.robbyonrails.com/articles/2007/08/28/ra...

I found it on Github as well:

* http://github.com/yyyc514/rails_dev_mode_performance/tree

Good luck!

Cheers,
Robby

--
Robby Russell
Chief Evangelist, Partner

PLANET ARGON, LLC
design // development // hosting w/Ruby on Rails

http://planetargon.com/
http://robbyonrails.com/
http://twitter.com/planetargon
aim: planetargon

+1 503 445 2457
+1 877 55 ARGON [toll free]
+1 815 642 4068 [fax]
Aad37b5f7116c8d1f547d23b37566032?d=identicon&s=25 Greg Donald (destiney)
On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 9:00 AM, Roger Muthton
<rails-mailing-list@andreas-s.net> wrote:

> anyone know of any good development speed booster plugins or gems? the
> larger my app becomes, the slower development time becomes.. getting
> painfully slow..

You can always use mod_rails in development mode on Apache:

http://www.modrails.com/

<VirtualHost *:80>
  ServerName myapp
  DocumentRoot /rails/myapp/public
  RailsEnv development
  <Directory "/rails/myapp/public">
    Options FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride None
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
  </Directory>
</VirtualHost>

Minus the ability to run an inline debugger, it works the same as
mongrel or webrick, except multi-threaded and faster.

--
Greg Donald
http://destiney.com/