Forum: Ruby on Rails OT: What is the best DNS for wildcard subdomains?

7ed559ec7f9fc6a96ddc1690f06e7f80?d=identicon&s=25 Chris Olsen (chrisolsen)
on 2009-03-08 18:04
I am having issues with netfirms in that in the past and right now
certain subdomains result in a failure to direct the request to my
servers.

I need to find somewhere that is reliable and that can handle wildcard
subdomains.

Any suggestions?
B09a3f6cdc4797532647d2d264b5df49?d=identicon&s=25 Jodi Showers (jshow)
Hey Chris -

On 8-Mar-09, at 1:04 PM, Chris Olsen wrote:

> I am having issues with netfirms in that in the past and right now
> certain subdomains result in a failure to direct the request to my
> servers.
>
> I need to find somewhere that is reliable and that can handle wildcard
> subdomains.
>
> Any suggestions?

I've never run my own dns, or compiled bind - but I can say that
easydns.com is a joy to use; wildcards et all.

Jodi
403a19e09f299c897bde2837e24aa9cb?d=identicon&s=25 Ranjeet Jones (ranjeetsmith)
on 2009-03-09 02:38
You should probably diagnose the actual problem so that you don't waste
a lot of time migrating a broken configuration only to have it remain
broken.
7ed559ec7f9fc6a96ddc1690f06e7f80?d=identicon&s=25 Chris Olsen (chrisolsen)
on 2009-03-09 03:33
Jodi Showers wrote:

> I've never run my own dns, or compiled bind - but I can say that
> easydns.com is a joy to use; wildcards et all.
>
> Jodi

Thanks for the advice Jodi.  I signed up and was able to get everything
working.  Hopefully I never see this problem again.

BTW, when I signed up I added your name to the referral slot, so
hopefully you get something out of this.

Thanks again.
7ed559ec7f9fc6a96ddc1690f06e7f80?d=identicon&s=25 Chris Olsen (chrisolsen)
on 2009-03-09 03:37
Ranjeet Smith wrote:
> You should probably diagnose the actual problem so that you don't waste
> a lot of time migrating a broken configuration only to have it remain
> broken.

The first time netfirms admitted to the problem being on their side so
the root of the problem has been removed :)
On 8-Mar-09, at 10:33 PM, Chris Olsen wrote:
> Thanks for the advice Jodi.  I signed up and was able to get
> everything
> working.  Hopefully I never see this problem again.
>
> BTW, when I signed up I added your name to the referral slot, so
> hopefully you get something out of this.
>
> Thanks again.

8-))