Forum: Ruby ARAX?

0b7b005fa5fab7890d0265dc7b506183?d=identicon&s=25 Kyle Murphy (shmay)
on 2009-03-08 02:28
I remember reading about ARAX on slashdot, and after writing some
javascript recently, I really wish I could have written in Ruby instead,
as I know the language so much better.

So, does anyone know if ARAX has a chance of becoming a client-side
scripting language in browsers like javascript?  Or is there little
chance of this happening?

Thanks for any help.
D1f1c20467562fc1d8c8aa0d328def62?d=identicon&s=25 Florian Gilcher (skade)
on 2009-03-08 15:36
As the Article on Slashdot states: it might be possible in Silverlight
environments. Thats not even AJAX as most people think of it
(HTML+asynchronous Javascript) This means that your client already has
Ruby installed (through Ruby.NET on the .NET VM, which is not
production-ready).

In a browser environment, i don't see that happening. JS interpreters
are faster, better tested and widely deployed. I don't see a point of
changing that. Not before browsers themselves sit on top of VMs like
.NET or the JVM.
Fa2521c6539342333de9f42502657e5a?d=identicon&s=25 Eleanor McHugh (Guest)
On 8 Mar 2009, at 01:26, Kyle Murphy wrote:
> I remember reading about ARAX on slashdot, and after writing some
> javascript recently, I really wish I could have written in Ruby
> instead,
> as I know the language so much better.
>
> So, does anyone know if ARAX has a chance of becoming a client-side
> scripting language in browsers like javascript?  Or is there little
> chance of this happening?

You might find HotRuby or Red suits your needs. HotRuby is fast but
not feature complete so you may have to make some design compromises,
but it does offer excellent performance :)

Ellie

Eleanor McHugh
Games With Brains
http://slides.games-with-brains.net
----
134ea397777886d6f0aa992672a50eaa?d=identicon&s=25 Mark Thomas (Guest)
On Mar 7, 9:26 pm, Kyle Murphy <kmurp...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I remember reading about ARAX on slashdot, and after writing some
> javascript recently, I really wish I could have written in Ruby instead,
> as I know the language so much better.
>
> So, does anyone know if ARAX has a chance of becoming a client-side
> scripting language in browsers like javascript?  Or is there little
> chance of this happening?

You can do it with BrowserPlus -- Yahoo's answer to Google Gears. It
has client-side Ruby as an option.
http://browserplus.yahoo.com/developer/service/ruby/

-- Mark.
1bc63d01bd3fcccc36fb030a62039352?d=identicon&s=25 David Masover (Guest)
Kyle Murphy wrote:
> I remember reading about ARAX on slashdot

I remember that article -- it was mostly just an idea.

> So, does anyone know if ARAX has a chance of becoming a client-side
> scripting language in browsers like javascript?  Or is there little
> chance of this happening?

I would say, it's inevitable, but it's probably not ready yet. If it
happens, sadly, it's probably going to be targeting JavaScript, rather
than native support in browsers.

Javascript is actually not a bad language in its own right, and it
actually does some things better than Ruby. I'd suggest using jQuery,
and reading Douglas Crockford.
Kyle Murphy wrote:
> I remember reading about ARAX on slashdot, and after writing some
> javascript recently, I really wish I could have written in Ruby instead,
> as I know the language so much better.
>
> So, does anyone know if ARAX has a chance of becoming a client-side
> scripting language in browsers like javascript?  Or is there little
> chance of this happening?

JRuby already works in a browser, and has for a couple years. You can
run as an applet, or with more recent Java 6 releases, interact directly
with browser-based JS and the DOM.

- Charlie
4df097f56911b410a879c81c176b2d9c?d=identicon&s=25 Mike Cargal (Guest)
Is there a site somewhere that elaborates on this a bit to get you
started?
Hi Charlie,

Charles.O.Nutter@sun.com wrote:

> JRuby already works in a browser, and has for a couple years.
> You can run as an applet, or with more recent Java 6 releases,
> interact directly with browser-based JS and the DOM.

You got any links a fella could follow to find out more about how this
works?

Thanks,
Bill