Forum: Ruby ANN: Dao, the official 1.0 version is released

C26a8b730a720e5e5bdef4177be3d680?d=identicon&s=25 Limin Fu (Guest)

This is to announce the first official release of Dao.

Dao is a simple yet powerful object-oriented programming language with
many advanced features including, soft (or optional) typing, BNF-like
macro system, regular expression, multi-dimensional numeric array,
closure, coroutine, asynchronous function call for concurrent
programming etc.  Dao provides a rich set of standard data types,
methods and libraries.  Dao is implemented as a light and efficient
virtual machine with very transparent C programming interfaces, which
make it easy to extend Dao with C/C++ or embed Dao into C/C++
programs.

There have been a lot of improvements since the last release
including: a lot of bug fixing and some broken feature fixing; several
large implementation changes to improve the structure and clarity of
the codes; and some implementation of new features.  For the details,
please have a look at: http://www.daovm.net/?page=dao_whats_new.

Besides the improvements to the language and its implementation, the
modules, tools, documentations and website associated with this
language have also been improved greatly.  The documentations are more
complete than before, and are prepared in nice formats for easy
referencing.  A number of demos are also included in the release,
including some programs for the The Computer Language Benchmarks Game,
which can be tried out just for fun.

One automatic tool (tools/autobind.dao) was developed using Dao
itself, and was used to create most of the released Dao extending
modules, by generating wrappers directly from the header files of the
corresponding C/C++ libraries.  This tool could also be used to wrap
other C/C++ library as necessary.

A new website that was developed using Dao itself too, has been setup
at http://www.daovm.net, and is going to be the new official website
of Dao.  This new website will be established as a serious platform to
promote the spreading of Dao and to grow a community of its users.

Links:
Home: http://www.daovm.net
Document: http//www.daovm.net/?page=document_en
Download: http//www.daovm.net/?page=download_en
Forum: http//www.daovm.net/?forum

Have fun.

Limin
107dbd4c05818a538bce7193e5647c7a?d=identicon&s=25 unknown (Guest)
Limin> This is to announce the first official release of Dao.

What's the connection to Python?
F065301eb65a5d0da8edcb8de9d5e28e?d=identicon&s=25 Tim Greer (Guest)
Limin Fu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is to announce the first official release of Dao.
>
> Dao is a simple yet powerful object-oriented programming language

So, you pimp your language in news groups for other languages?  I see
your off topic post in 3 language groups I frequent, that's not the way
to get interest in your language.
C26a8b730a720e5e5bdef4177be3d680?d=identicon&s=25 Limin Fu (Guest)
Honest to say, there is no solid connection between Dao and Python.
It's just that I had received some good suggestions and comments from
these groups when I made a few previous announcements in these groups.
So I guessed somebody might be interested in Dao, and thought it might
be a good idea to announce it here again.

Nevertheless, Python is one of the few languages from which Dao tried
to learn something. I have paid a lot of my attention to Python during
the development of Dao. Once a time I even created a module trying to
allow calling Python functions and using python objects in Dao
scripts, it was a long time ago, probably even before this language is
named as Dao. Unfortunately I hadn't time to continue to develop that
module.

To Tim Greer and others:

Some people may think this kind of announcement are off topic in a
group for another language. This is not exactly true. This is still
about programming, there are so many programmers out there, who knows
if there would be somebody interested in a new language. This
announcement does not mean to threaten any language, I don't even
think it is somewhere close to that. So take it easy.
Limin Fu wrote:

> To Tim Greer and others:
>
> Some people may think this kind of announcement are off topic in a
> group for another language. This is not exactly true. This is still
> about programming, there are so many programmers out there, who knows
> if there would be somebody interested in a new language. This
> announcement does not mean to threaten any language, I don't even
> think it is somewhere close to that. So take it easy.

I don't see it as a threat at all (I'm not sure how you read that from
what I said), and I honestly don't care that much, but it seems pretty
odd to post about a completely different language in groups that have
no relation.  Imagine people posting announcements about languages,
modules, extensions, etc in other language groups as they happened,
we'd see 1/2 the group's posts containing that sort of information.

You posted in the Python, Perl and Ruby groups, and it just seemed (was)
inappropriate and not a good way to get people interested (it can be a
turn off to see what could be considered spam).  Just because it's
another language doesn't make it on topic.  There are over a hundred of
them out there, and even more derivatives and it's just not usually
appreciated (though I don't pretend to speak for anyone else, but it's
a pretty accurate observation).

I don't assume ill intent by you, but it was questionable about why.
Anyway, it's not a knock on the language, I just don't think the Perl,
Ruby or Python groups are relevant (but maybe some people will find it
interesting and be glad you did -- of course, that could be said of any
post about anything).
47aff267a58c012d222fd4d74f6beb54?d=identicon&s=25 Dominik Honnef (Guest)
On [Sat, 07.03.2009 02:58], Limin Fu wrote:

> Have fun.
>
> Limin

As long as your language doesnt look like Lisp, this thread is about to
turn into
a flamewar powered by Mr. Pascal. Good luck...
107dbd4c05818a538bce7193e5647c7a?d=identicon&s=25 unknown (Guest)
Limin> Honest to say, there is no solid connection between Dao and
    Limin> Python.  It's just that I had received some good suggestions
and
    Limin> comments from these groups when I made a few previous
    Limin> announcements in these groups.  So I guessed somebody might
be
    Limin> interested in Dao, and thought it might be a good idea to
    Limin> announce it here again.

Saying just that in your announcement would have been enough, in my
opinion
to establish the connection.  It's just that there was no mention of
Python
at all in your announcement.  So I asked.
On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 6:18 PM,  <skip@pobox.com> wrote:
> at all in your announcement.  So I asked.
If you didn't notice, you're X-Posting to a Ruby mailing list /
newsgroup.  Not sure if that was the OP's fault... but if you're going
to complain about the original post being unrelated to Python, please
do that on a Python list only!

-greg