Forum: Ruby on Rails Can map.root to point to a static html file in public dir?

E4655b2aa2768140847acf487dc2b03c?d=identicon&s=25 Tony Tony (slythic)
on 2009-03-06 04:20
Hi all,

I'm trying to get map.root to point to a static html file in the public
directory. I can't just have index.html since I'm doing subdomains and
any index.html file in there will be used as the actual page displayed.

Basically I can point to my subdomain roots just fine, but I need to
find a way to point map.root to a specific html file. For example,
something like this: map.root :url => 'homepage.html'

That example doesn't work obviously.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. If you need any more info,
please let me know! Thanks.

-Tony
On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 7:20 PM, Tony Tony
<rails-mailing-list@andreas-s.net> wrote:

> I'm trying to get map.root to point to a static html file in the public
> directory. I can't just have index.html since I'm doing subdomains and
> any index.html file in there will be used as the actual page displayed.

Sorry, missing something here --

What's the difference between using static file "index.html" and static
file "homepage.html"?

E4655b2aa2768140847acf487dc2b03c?d=identicon&s=25 Tony Tony (slythic)
on 2009-03-06 16:37
Hassan Schroeder wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 7:20 PM, Tony Tony
>
>> I'm trying to get map.root to point to a static html file in the public
>> directory. I can't just have index.html since I'm doing subdomains and
>> any index.html file in there will be used as the actual page displayed.
>
> Sorry, missing something here --
>
> What's the difference between using static file "index.html" and static
> file "homepage.html"?
>
> --

Hi Hassan,

Rails automatically picks up 'index.html' as the root page for the site.
Whether it's a subdomain (ex. user.app.com) or the actual domain
(app.com), if the 'index.html' is present then it is picked up as the
root.

What I want is to have my subdomain root (ex. user.app.com) to point to
the user login page (which I currently have working) and the domain root
(ex. app.com) to have a typical welcome/signup index page. This index
page is going to be 100% static so I'd prefer to just have it as a file
(say homepage.html) in the public directory.  I realize I could get this
working by creating a 'page' controller and view and then direct
map.root to that specific controller/view but I think cutting down on
unnecessary rails calls would be best.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

-Tony
On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 7:37 AM, Tony Tony
<rails-mailing-list@andreas-s.net> wrote:

> What I want is to have my subdomain root (ex. user.app.com) to point to
> the user login page (which I currently have working) and the domain root
> (ex. app.com) to have a typical welcome/signup index page. This index
> page is going to be 100% static so I'd prefer to just have it as a file
> (say homepage.html) in the public directory.  I realize I could get this
> working by creating a 'page' controller and view and then direct
> map.root to that specific controller/view but I think cutting down on
> unnecessary rails calls would be best.

Perhaps someone else will chime in with an alternative, but I think
fighting this convention will be more trouble than its worth :-)

E4655b2aa2768140847acf487dc2b03c?d=identicon&s=25 Tony Tony (slythic)
on 2009-03-06 18:26
Hassan Schroeder wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 7:37 AM, Tony Tony
>
>> What I want is to have my subdomain root (ex. user.app.com) to point to
>> the user login page (which I currently have working) and the domain root
>> (ex. app.com) to have a typical welcome/signup index page. This index
>> page is going to be 100% static so I'd prefer to just have it as a file
>> (say homepage.html) in the public directory. �I realize I could get this
>> working by creating a 'page' controller and view and then direct
>> map.root to that specific controller/view but I think cutting down on
>> unnecessary rails calls would be best.
>
> Perhaps someone else will chime in with an alternative, but I think
> fighting this convention will be more trouble than its worth :-)
>
> --

It's starting to look that way! Hopefully there's someone that knows of
a good quick solution. Thanks for the reply though, I appreciate it.

-Tony
40db9e75b3f5899258e3bdc0c9210154?d=identicon&s=25 Conrad Taylor (conradwt)
On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 8:53 AM, Hassan Schroeder
<hassan.schroeder@gmail.com
> wrote:

> > map.root to that specific controller/view but I think cutting down on
> > unnecessary rails calls would be best.
>
> Perhaps someone else will chime in with an alternative, but I think
> fighting this convention will be more trouble than its worth :-)
>
> --

Hi, when someone goes to app.com, you would like it to go to the
     homepage.html.  Thus, you can do one of the following:

a)  Apache

     i)  Update the following in your httpd.conf file:

         <IfModule dir_module>
             DirectoryIndex index.html index.htm index.php homepage.html
        </IfModule>

     ii)  Upload the file (i.e. homepage.html) to public directory of
your
Rails application.

     Note:  This should do the job for you.

b)  Rails Caching

     i)  Turn page caching on for a view template (i.e.
homepage.html.erb)
and

     ii)  update you map.root

         map.root :controller => "index", :action => "homepage"

     Note:  This will cache the static content (i.e. homepage.html)
within
your public folder.  Thus, it will be served by
               Apache or the web server that you're using.

In short, the standard way of providing the root page of a web site is
use an index.[php|html|htm|...] but feel free to use one
of the methods above to achieve your result.

Good luck,

-Conrad
E4655b2aa2768140847acf487dc2b03c?d=identicon&s=25 Tony Tony (slythic)
on 2009-03-06 18:42
Conrad Taylor wrote:
> In short, the standard way of providing the root page of a web site is
> use an index.[php|html|htm|...] but feel free to use one
> of the methods above to achieve your result.
>
> Good luck,
>
> -Conrad

FANTASTIC! Thanks a lot for the detailed post.

-Tony