Forum: Ruby Ruby -Question about Framewroks

Da22709962fc0cf31068e779c78ab6be?d=identicon&s=25 Raveendran .P (jazzezravi)
on 2009-03-05 11:01
Hi All,

How many web application frameworks(like rails)available in ruby ? .

I heard about rails,merb,ramaze,sinatra,mack etc.. But i can't able to
say which one is best. So please anyone suggest a rank  for these
frameworks. It is easy to identify which one is best ?

Thanks,
P.Raveendran
http://raveendran.wordpress.com
Fa2521c6539342333de9f42502657e5a?d=identicon&s=25 Eleanor McHugh (Guest)
On 5 Mar 2009, at 09:59, jazzez ravi wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> How many web application frameworks(like rails)available in ruby ? .
>
> I heard about rails,merb,ramaze,sinatra,mack etc.. But i can't able to
> say which one is best. So please anyone suggest a rank  for these
> frameworks. It is easy to identify which one is best ?

The simple answers are: lots, and no it isn't easy to identify the
best. However as Merb and Rails will be spending much of this year
merging they might be your best options in a future-proofing sense.

As for current frameworks in general, just off the top of my head I'm
also aware of Brix, IOWA, Waves and Camping. I suspect there are many
others though as writing web frameworks in Ruby is a popular pastime.
They all have their plusses and minuses and without knowing what
you're looking to use them for it's hard to say whether any of them
would be a particular problem.

The one thing you should look out for is Rack compatibility, although
I think that's becoming universal so may not be a good distinguisher.
Rack is a generic web server interface which allows you to plug a
framework which supports it into all the coolest Ruby web servers like
Thin. It also allows you to write low-level handlers for things that
shouldn't be going through your web stack such as authentication and
media file transfers.

For originality I suggest Brix as that's designed from the ground up
with Thick Client AJAX applications in mind. However for elegance of
implementation and simplicity of use it's hard to beat Camping.

Ellie

Eleanor McHugh
Games With Brains
http://slides.games-with-brains.net
----
jazzez ravi wrote:
> I heard about rails,merb,ramaze,sinatra,mack etc.. But i can't able to
> say which one is best. So please anyone suggest a rank  for these
> frameworks. It is easy to identify which one is best ?

Depends what you're trying to do.

Rails scores highly because of the availability of excellent books.
There's tons of functionality, as long as you can remember where to find
it! My Rails book has lots of scribbled notes in the back page :-)

Right now I'm using Sinatra, which is the opposite end of the spectrum:
very, very simple. I highly recommend it.

Also consider if and how you wish to integrate Javascript into your app.
If you want Ruby helpers to spit out Javascript and embed it into your
HTML for you, then Rails does this very well (and jrails gives you the
power of jquery too).

But the alternative approach is UJS (Unobtrusive JavaScript) - keep your
HTML pure, and write your own Javascript in a separate file, using a
library like jquery. I am now finding this approach much cleaner and
more powerful.
jazzez ravi wrote:

> How many web application frameworks(like rails)available in ruby ? .
>
> I heard about rails,merb,ramaze,sinatra,mack etc.. But i can't able to
> say which one is best. So please anyone suggest a rank  for these
> frameworks. It is easy to identify which one is best ?

In addition to the other answers, what will you do with the 'best' if
you find it?

What if you started with a framework that was _not_ the 'best'? What
would the
problem be?
On Mar 5, 2009, at 4:23 AM, Eleanor McHugh wrote:

> However for elegance of implementation and simplicity of use it's
> hard to beat Camping.

You may benefit from reading Sinatra's source.  I use to agree with
the above statement, but Sinatra changed my mind.

James Edward Gray II
On 5 Mar 2009, at 14:39, James Gray wrote:
> On Mar 5, 2009, at 4:23 AM, Eleanor McHugh wrote:
>
>> However for elegance of implementation and simplicity of use it's
>> hard to beat Camping.
>
> You may benefit from reading Sinatra's source.  I use to agree with
> the above statement, but Sinatra changed my mind.

I intend to when I have the time :)

On Mar 5, 2009, at 8:46 AM, Eleanor McHugh wrote:

> On 5 Mar 2009, at 14:39, James Gray wrote:
>> On Mar 5, 2009, at 4:23 AM, Eleanor McHugh wrote:
>>
>>> However for elegance of implementation and simplicity of use it's
>>> hard to beat Camping.
>>
>> You may benefit from reading Sinatra's source.  I use to agree with
>> the above statement, but Sinatra changed my mind.
>
> I intend to when I have the time :)

That's another plus for it:  it's pretty short and very readable.  It
doesn't take much time.  :)

I read it during a presentation on it at my local Ruby group.

James Edward Gray II
On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 9:39 AM, James Gray <james@grayproductions.net>
wrote:
> On Mar 5, 2009, at 4:23 AM, Eleanor McHugh wrote:
>
>> However for elegance of implementation and simplicity of use it's hard to
>> beat Camping.
>
> You may benefit from reading Sinatra's source.  I use to agree with the
> above statement, but Sinatra changed my mind.

Same here.   Camping is very cool, but Sinatra is a better Camping
than Camping (albeit with slightly different goals)

-greg
On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 9:39 AM, James Gray
<james@grayproductions.net>wrote:

> On Mar 5, 2009, at 4:23 AM, Eleanor McHugh wrote:
>
>  However for elegance of implementation and simplicity of use it's hard to
>> beat Camping.
>>

> You may benefit from reading Sinatra's source.  I use to agree with the
> above statement, but Sinatra changed my mind.
>
> Yep, I think of Sinatra as a de-quirked Camping.

I just wrote about the convergence I'm seeing in the ruby web framework
community, including rails, merb and sinatra driven to some extent by
the
common adoption of rack.

http://talklikeaduck.denhaven2.com/articles/2009/0...
--
Rick DeNatale

On 5 Mar 2009, at 17:46, Rick DeNatale wrote:
> I just wrote about the convergence I'm seeing in the ruby web
> framework
> community, including rails, merb and sinatra driven to some extent
> by the
> common adoption of rack.
>
> http://talklikeaduck.denhaven2.com/articles/2009/0...

At the end of last year I added Rack support to the Brix framework,
but the project's currently on hold so I'm not sure when it will see
the light of day. It was a surprisingly pleasant experience and I'm
considering going back to some of the code I was working on 2006 and
porting that over to Rack just for the sake of it :)

Ellie

Eleanor McHugh
Games With Brains
http://slides.games-with-brains.net
----
Da22709962fc0cf31068e779c78ab6be?d=identicon&s=25 Raveendran .P (jazzezravi)
on 2009-03-06 05:25
Phlip wrote:
> In addition to the other answers, what will you do with the 'best' if
> you find it?
>
> What if you started with a framework that was _not_ the 'best'? What
> would the
> problem be?

Hi Philip,

  Now I want to build one application. I learned  ruby. Many of them
suggests Rails is a best framework in ruby. But in my project, lot of
functionality available,
Example,
1. Contact Import from gmail,Yahoo,Hotmail
2. Chat
3. SMS - BDay reminder
4. Fully Ajax Based

I saw this link http://rubyonrails.org/applications

But i am not satisfied with those projects except Twitter,Git hub,Group
hub.

Also I am not sure twitter written code for Import contacts
functionality in ruby on rails and no other chat related application in
that(http://rubyonrails.org/applications) list. That's why, I came here
with my ABOVE question.

   "Please guide me" if my_approach == "wrong"

Thanks,
P.Raveendran
http://raveendran.wordpress.com
Da22709962fc0cf31068e779c78ab6be?d=identicon&s=25 Raveendran .P (jazzezravi)
on 2009-04-06 11:22
Hi All,

Anyway I started work with rails...