Forum: Ruby Mr Bones 2.4.1 (Lacrimal)

4d5b5dd4e263d780a5dfe7ac8b8ac98c?d=identicon&s=25 Tim Pease (Guest)
Mr Bones version 2.4.1
    by Tim Pease
    http://codeforpeople.rubyforge.org/bones
    (the "Lacrimal" release)

== DESCRIPTION

Mr Bones is a handy tool that builds a skeleton for your new Ruby
projects.
The skeleton contains some starter code and a collection of rake tasks
ease the management and deployment of your source code. Mr Bones is not
viral -- all the code your project needs is included in the skeleton (no
gem dependency required).

== CHANGES

* 1 minor enhancement
  - jruby 1.2 compatability [Emmanuel Pirsch]

== INSTALL

* sudo gem install bones

== SYNOPSIS

To create a new "Get Fuzzy" project:

  bones create get_fuzzy

If you ever get confused about what Mr Bones can do:

  bones --help

== FEATURES

Mr Bones provides the following rake tasks:

  ann               # Alias to ann:announcement
  ann:announcement  # Create an announcement file
  ann:email         # Send an email announcement
  bones:debug       # Show the PROJ open struct
  clean             # Remove any temporary products.
  clobber           # Remove any generated file.
  doc               # Alias to doc:rdoc
  doc:rdoc          # Build the rdoc HTML Files
  doc:release       # Publish RDoc to RubyForge
  doc:rerdoc        # Force a rebuild of the RDOC files
  doc:ri            # Generate ri locally for testing
  gem               # Alias to gem:package
  gem:cleanup       # Cleanup the gem
  gem:debug         # Show information about the gem
  gem:install       # Install the gem
  gem:package       # Build all the packages
  gem:reinstall     # Reinstall the gem
  gem:release       # Package and upload to RubyForge
  gem:repackage     # Force a rebuild of the package files
  gem:spec          # Write the gemspec
  gem:uninstall     # Uninstall the gem
  git:create_tag    # Create a new tag in the Git repository
  git:show_tags     # Show tags from the Git repository
  notes             # Enumerate all annotations
  notes:fixme       # Enumerate all FIXME annotations
  notes:optimize    # Enumerate all OPTIMIZE annotations
  notes:todo        # Enumerate all TODO annotations
  spec              # Alias to spec:run
  spec:rcov         # Run all specs with RCov
  spec:run          # Run all specs with basic output
  spec:specdoc      # Run all specs with text output
  spec:verify       # Verify that rcov coverage is at least 90.0%
  svn:create_tag    # Create a new tag in the SVN repository
  svn:show_tags     # Show tags from the SVN repository
  test              # Alias to test:run
  test:rcov         # Run rcov on the unit tests
  test:run          # Run tests for run

The rake tasks in the Mr Bones framework can be found in the "tasks"
directory. Add your own tasks there when you need more functionality.

== REQUIREMENTS

Mr Bones does not have any "requirements", but if you do not have the
following gems installed you will not get all that Mr Bones has to
offer.

* rubyforge - for easy gem publishing to rubyforge.org
* rcov - for code coverage testing
* rspec - if that's the way you roll
* facets - for pretty colors

Actually, you will need at least version 1.2.0 of rubygems installed to
use
Mr Bones.
00109e19a784b64f81b483a5dbec690a?d=identicon&s=25 Chauk-Mean Proum (chauk-mean)

Tim Pease wrote:
> Mr Bones version 2.4.1
>     by Tim Pease
>     http://codeforpeople.rubyforge.org/bones
>     (the "Lacrimal" release)
>
> == CHANGES
>
> * 1 minor enhancement
>   - jruby 1.2 compatability [Emmanuel Pirsch]

I'm just wondering whether rubyforge is the correct place for Mr Bones
bug report/feature request.

http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail...

If not, can you tell me where I should file the request.
If so, thanks for taking into account this request.

Cheers.

Chauk-Mean.
On Mar 2, 2009, at 1:43 PM, Chauk-Mean Proum wrote:

>> * 1 minor enhancement
>>  - jruby 1.2 compatability [Emmanuel Pirsch]
>
> I'm just wondering whether rubyforge is the correct place for Mr Bones
> bug report/feature request.
>
> http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail...
>
> If not, can you tell me where I should file the request.
> If so, thanks for taking into account this request.

I took a look at the bug report.

1) Regarding the dependency on rake, this is needed in order for the
Mr Bones gems to install properly on ruby 1.8.* systems.

2) Regarding openssl, this is used by the SMTP/TLS security layer to
communicate with gmail when sending out announcements of new releases.

I can make the second conditionally available -- it won't try to load
the SMTP/TLS code unless the OpenSSL libraries are present. However,
the rake dependency does need to remain.

Thanks for the bug report.

Blessings,
TwP

Tim Pease wrote:
> I took a look at the bug report.
>
> 1) Regarding the dependency on rake, this is needed in order for the
> Mr Bones gems to install properly on ruby 1.8.* systems.
>
> 2) Regarding openssl, this is used by the SMTP/TLS security layer to
> communicate with gmail when sending out announcements of new releases.
>
> I can make the second conditionally available -- it won't try to load
> the SMTP/TLS code unless the OpenSSL libraries are present. However,
> the rake dependency does need to remain.

Thanks. I'm looking forward the next release.

Cheers.

Chauk-Mean.
On Mar 2, 2009, at 3:56 PM, Chauk-Mean Proum wrote:

>> releases.
>>
>> I can make the second conditionally available -- it won't try to load
>> the SMTP/TLS code unless the OpenSSL libraries are present. However,
>> the rake dependency does need to remain.
>>

> Thanks. I'm looking forward the next release.

It has been released!  Mr Bones 2.4.2 is now on the rubyforge mirrors.
Just didn't make a big new announcement.

Blessings,
TwP
00109e19a784b64f81b483a5dbec690a?d=identicon&s=25 Chauk-Mean Proum (chauk-mean)
on 2009-03-04 10:02
Hi Tim,

Tim Pease wrote:

> It has been released!  Mr Bones 2.4.2 is now on the rubyforge mirrors.
> Just didn't make a big new announcement.

Thanks for this new release with the removal for the mandatory openssl
dependency.

FYI, some feedbacks regarding the rake dependency :

1/ For ruby-1.9, this dependency can be easily workarounded, I've just
downloaded the bones gem and forced the installation with :
gem install -l -f bones

2/ I have found a little issue when I try to create a project on MinGW :

C:\HOME\mingw>ruby -v
ruby 1.9.1p0 (2009-01-30 revision 21907) [i386-mingw32]

C:\HOME\mingw>bones create bones-app
Created 'bones-app'
Now you need to fix these files
C:/opt/ruby-1.9.1-mingw/bin/ruby: No such file or directory -- rake
(LoadError)

The problem is that the installation of ruby-1.9 on Windows (both MSVC
and MinGW builds) does not install the shell version of ruby commands
(irb, gem, rake ...). Only the windows .bat files are installed.

I've just copied the shell version of rake (from the bin directory or
the ruby source archive to the bin directory of my ruby installation),
then the problem disappeared.

I'm just wondering whether the above rake check is still relevant for
ruby-1.9.

Cheers.

Chauk-Mean.